Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1998 GL1500 SE
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my bike apart Right Now. ( 1998 Gl1500 SE )- I've removed the left bag and taken both shock bolts out. I've been prying gently on the lower part to try to take the shock out so I can put the new one in... I can't seem to budge it at all.
How do I take this stupid shock out??
0515201019.jpg
0515200933.jpg
0515200933.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,121 Posts
Did you let all the air out of the air shock on the right side? It is probably bound up frrom the aid shock or the pressure of it's own spring. See the link below.

·
Registered
1998 GL1500 SE
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did not release the air shock pressure- while you were replying I was Prying some more... I stuck a fat screwdriver in front of the lower shock mount and twisted it with an adjustable wrench.. it took some pressure to move it and when it popped free I could see why- The lower mount inner sleeve is now bent. On the Good side the shock slid off the upper mount and up out of the bike easy after that.. Here's a few pictures..
screw driver pry point.jpg
bent inner sleeve.jpg
rear shock removed.jpg

·
Registered
1998 GL1500 SE
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So basically what happened is the inner sleeve had pulled outward a little bit when I removed the lower bolt- it created an interference with the mounting bolt hole..
Job is done now.

·
Administrator
22,182 Posts
Got here too late. I could have told you about that sleeve. Now you get to wait for a new one.

That problem is so common that a local shop bought some pipe the same size and made themselves a bucket of replacements. However, you can tap the tube back in place before it gets ruined.

·
Registered
1998 GL1500 SE
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The shock I installed was from a 20K mile bike, that sleeve was already in it and not damaged.
NEXT TIME .. I know to tap the sleeve inward before forcing it..

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Doesn’t look to be air shock?

·
Premium Member
6,121 Posts
I'm trying to picture what you mean. Is there a sleeve in there I can't remember or is it the sleeve that should have been permanently attached to the lower rubber bushing?

·
Registered
1998 GL1500 SE
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, the sleeve should always be in the lower mount rubber bushing. The ID of it is slip fit on the shock mounting bolt. this allows for installation/removal of the mounting bolt while maintaining a tight tolerance between the shock mount and the bolt and not have to fight a bolt through tight fitting rubber.. Side note:The inside end of the mounting bolt is the alignment pin for the caliper mount/stabilizer.
In Post #3 : In the first picture you can see the sleeve at the bottom of the threads( I pried the lower mount with the screwdriver as shown ) the second picture is the lower shock mount popped out of the mounting slot ( you can see the sleeve diameter got bent) the 3rd picture is the mounting slot it came out of.
The sleeve got bent when I pried it out of the slot because over time the sleeve had worked it's way outward and may have been slightly into the backside of the threaded hole - none the less it was an interference that I overcame with the pry bar/screwdriver.

·
Registered
1998 GL1500 SE
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pure Texas, the air shock is on the other side of the bike. In post #1 picture #1 the coil over shock is shown and also in the picture you can see the air shock Pump to the right side of the picture. Honda had room to mount it here.

·
Registered
392 Posts
If I remember correctly I pulled the bolt on the air shock also to replace them, made it much easy'er to get the shock back in the frame. The shock fit's into the swing arm and the arm has to drop down. I lifted both bags up and out of the way when I did my shocks. My coil over was broken so I replaced both shocks with a set I had from a 1200 ltd. They have worked well for the last two years. I run them at 65 lbs 2 up and we don't bottom out. I had the hose's and fittings from my old bike just had to get the air split er from a wrecking yard.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Pure Texas, the air shock is on the other side of the bike. In post #1 picture #1 the coil over shock is shown and also in the picture you can see the air shock Pump to the right side of the picture. Honda had room to mount it here.
Huum,mine has air on both sides?91

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
They are,I didn’t know the 1500 came with one air shock,that’s cheap from honda

1 - 18 of 18 Posts