Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've got a '95 gl1500i & haveto keep it outside. the left saddle bag has had minor leak issues for a long time (small amount of water in it after a heavey rain & would dry out reletively quickly). but lately it collects a lot of water even in a light rain it has been holding 1"+ off water in it lately (every time i clean it out it just fills up in the next 1 or 2 rains). i usually leave it on the side stand but it collects water even when on the center stand. i noticed after being parked in the rain one day that i juggled the rear latch for the left saddle bag & water came poring down like it had collected above someplace (while parked) & then came in around the screw that holds the rear release catch.
does anyone have any idea were/ why the saddle bag is collecting water so bad?
right now that bag is useless since it always has about 1" of water in it, i'm ready to just drill a hole in the bottom of the saddle bag so at least it will self drain & be usable on non rainy days.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Check the rubber seal around the main part of the saddle bag. It may be time to replace it. Also check to see if the lit is snug on the main part of the bag. If loose and a bad seal, that will let water in.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I drilled several small 1/4" dia holes in mine (in all the lowest spots) so that water easily drains out.

Check that your Hinges are mounted securely... If the (2) screws are loose, then the lid will not fully seal against the trunk. If they are loose, then you'll have to remove the ~5/8" wide chrome trim piece on the outside, in order to access the screw heads for tightening.

The upper latches have some adjustablility too... as I recall, the U-shaped brackets on the lid can be moved so as to control the closed position/seal.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
The latches are adjustable. I made mine fit a bit tighter when closed to solve that problem.

John

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Sometimes the bottem brackets that hold the lid either get 'tweaked' or don't line up very well. With the lid on and open, it's possible to apply gentle pressure, tweak the lid supports slightly and get a better front to back saddlebag/lid fit. Then, like johnmac, adjust the latches for a snug fit and proper closure.

It should be obvious but I'll mention it...make sure the left bag round adhesive 'sticker' for brake bleeder access is intact. If it's fallen off it leaves really big hole on the inside of the bag.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.