Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished watching a YouTube video where a mechanic was changing the rear tire of GL 1500. He had a come along hoist hooked up towards the back of the trunk and was lifting up the bags and trunk together as one piece away and upwards from the bike! Can someone explain how and what do you have to detach to enable to do this? Looks like a great way to change tires well as get it in the back in to clean it.

·
Administrator
24,358 Posts
Lifting the bags up is easy,
it is the putting that stuff back on that gets really tricky...

I watched and helped DaveO430 do this, and he said 'never again'
as the shock mounts come back into place wires get pinched, and other things try to pinch your hands.
Yep, getting the inner fender joint to line up, the bags past the guards, among other things and 3 people to do it makes it not worth it.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Removing rear as a unit

Yep, getting the inner fender joint to line up, the bags past the guards, among other things and 3 people to do it makes it not worth it.
It's rare for me to disagree with Dave, but...

I found it fairly easy to remove the whole back end as a unit. I disconnected the rear shock air line at the top of the shock also.
I did have one helper.

The trick (at least for me) for reassembly was to put the two top bolts in loosely and then lower the the assembly using them as a pivot point.

Unplugging the wiring connectors was a bigger pain in the arse then any thing else. I guess I need to buy the special pliers for that.

Rayjoe

·
Administrator
24,358 Posts

I found it fairly easy to remove the whole back end as a unit. I disconnected the rear shock air line at the top of the shock also.
I did have one helper.

The trick (at least for me) for reassembly was to put the two top bolts in loosely and then lower the the assembly using them as a pivot point.

Unplugging the wiring connectors was a bigger pain in the arse then any thing else. I guess I need to buy the special pliers for that.

Rayjoe
May be removing it completely is easier as you wouldn't have to have it as much tilted as you do just hinging it up. I may try it that way if I ever make the mistake of working on a 1500 again.

·
Premium Member
3,267 Posts
I'm with Dave on this. I tried it one time and I also vowed to never do that again. It is much easier, for me, to remove the bags to get to the rear end stuff. I agree that you have excellent access to everything back there to service and clean but putting it all back in place is just too hard. If you don't have at least one helper to put it back, you are in for some fun. You might learn a few new words in the process.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
i remember doing it ONCE for a friend's bike, i just followed the guide posted somewhere on this forum, followed step by step and i remember it was very easy to do. i did it on my own with no helping hands... on my current bike im about to change the rear tire and i planed to do the same procedure.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I think I watched that video too. He was not lifting the whole back end as a unit, he was only loosening four bolts in the trunk and lifting the trunk a few inches not to remove the bottom cover and then removing the left saddlebag etc.

So I didn't like this idea, because it requires more work, removing the seat putting something between the trunk and the frame etc.

Here is that video.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Methinks that for us 1500 owners with trailer hitch (hafta undo a lot of the trailer hitch to lift the luggage) would be to just lay her down on the right side for a nap. I don't have to do that at home, I have the tools needed, but for emergency along the road I would think it would serve the purpose (get the axle nut loosened before laying over).

You would probably have to flip the center stand "down" and put a couple boards, rocks or bricks under it to get the rear wheel lifted off the ground (tip bike a little further than crash bars) but then it would be plenty accessible.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
I have used the swing up and over method more than once. I was able to do this by myself and would do it again. My bike had a trailer hitch which made this somewhat easier.

I used a regular car floor jack under the hitch one pump at at time to control the initial release. I watched as everything stated swinging up. By the time I reached the extent of the jack I was sure everything was moving freely and I lifted up to chest height a put a 4 foot long 2x4 under the hitch. Then I was able to tie it off to the overhead to the garage. I used the same 2x4 under the tire to lift it and take tension off the various bolts needed to remove the wheel.

A come-a-long from the overhead could do the same thing, just take it slow. Going back together, the key is controlling it, working slowly and making sure all the fender parts line up. No wires were disturbed.

Two other things. While apart I filed the forks that are the lower mounting points to make it easier to slide back together with the bolts in place. It's easier than trying to start the bolts when the assembly is fully back in position. I also replaced the lower bolts with socket head cap screws. Much easier to use a long hex instead of a regular socket.

I still struggle to see how laying a GL1500 on its side will let you get the rear wheel off. Any videos of this?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The YouTube video I saw featured an older gentleman working on a red 1500. He had a ratcheting, come along attached to the back of the trunk and was ratcheting/levering the bags in the air but the front of the bag assembly stayed on the bike so It was like a hinge. I found this video on YouTube when I entered into the search… Changing rear tire on a Honda GL 1500

·
Registered
549 Posts
I still struggle to see how laying a GL1500 on its side will let you get the rear wheel off. Any videos of this?
With the trailer hitch on the bike I have to lift it probably 15 inches into the air to get the wheel out. To remove the wheel with the bike on its side you'd want to get the axel nut off the right side (or at least loosened) before tipping the bike over, but after that it would be the same as up in the air, you'd still need to remove left saddlebag and loosen the left muffler to swing it out of the way to pull out the axle shaft.

I wouldn't want to do this unless it was in emergency on the road somewhere, I would much rather do tires in my garage with the bike lift....

The other problem (on my bike anyway) is that the right saddlebag is full of CD changer, amplifier and equalizer, and the PO wired it such that swinging the luggage up is not an option due to the cables. I would need to install some disconnects in the wiring, and would still have to deal with the trailer hitch which bolts to the rear crash bars....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hello,
I think that I seen a how to on here with pictures on how to raise the rear bags on a 1500. Can anyone tell me where it is here?

Thank you
Frank

·
Administrator
24,358 Posts
Hello,
I think that I seen a how to on here with pictures on how to raise the rear bags on a 1500. Can anyone tell me where it is here?

Thank you
Frank
I can't find the one with pictures but here's one with step by step. Some say it's easy, I disagree. Did it once and it took 3 people to put it back down. Maybe there are differences in some of them.
https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/282628-change-rear-tire-gl1500-without-removing-saddle-bags.html

·
Administrator
57,434 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts

I did have one helper.

Rayjoe
A friend of mine did it that way when he has a 1500 wing. He put the rear assemble on a mechanics stool with wheels and scooted it away from the bike. I never saw him do it but he said it was real easy. I should also say he was a truck mechanic so he did have some mechanical ability.

·
life is good
1,155 Posts
well i have put lotsa tires on the back of my 1500.i put it in the yard then use the motor cycle jack then dig a hole in the ground deep and long pull the thing right out kinda simple.more than one way to change the rear tire hope this helps. i am not doing it any other way but this takes about 5 min to dig dirt.:wink2:

·
Toolcraft4100
378 Posts
well i have put lotsa tires on the back of my 1500.i put it in the yard then use the motor cycle jack then dig a hole in the ground deep and long pull the thing right out kinda simple.more than one way to change the rear tire hope this helps. i am not doing it any other way but this takes about 5 min to dig dirt.:wink2:
How do you get the tire back on?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts