Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

GL1500 Light Bar Questions

6K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  jadednostalgic 
#1 ·
H'okay, so I am working on an aux light project. I plan on adding a total of 6 extra LED light pods to the front. I already have a fuse box relay set up and ready to connect and I know I'll need a high output alternator.

I've already done a full LED conversion on all the major lights, but even with super bright H4s, I still can't see too far in front of me on pitch black roads. I had maybe 20 feet of truly illuminated road distance. I could see farther, but could not clearly see. I'm pretty sure this is because of the nature of the headlight projecting a "blob" of light rather than anything focused. My Miata was the same way until I swapped to a pair of LED 7" round projectors that were intended for jeeps.

The plan is to get a pair of side shooter/spot/flood combo pods and aim them down to complement the curb lights and project in front a bit more. Next is a pair of 6" spot/flood combo pods to be aimed slightly higher and project farther down the road. Both of these mentioned will be tied into a switch and into the low beam circuit. Finally, a pair of spotlights that will be tied into a switch and on the high beam circuit to provide the extra light straight down the road on those pitch black country roads.

Here's the question, though... I can't seem to find a lot of information regarding light bars. From what I've seen, there are basically 3 kinds.

First, we have these boys, it looks like they attach behind the forks at the top of the radiator grill.

Second, we have this type. They seem to attach right under the headlight.

Finally, I'm seeing these, but I'm not sure where they mount or if that hardpoint is already taken up. No interest in the lights themselves, but that bar looks nice.

Would appreciate input or pictures if you have these mounted on your bike. I'm fairly sure I can pull off the first 2 at the same time and mount 4 of them on the big bar and 2 on the small bar.

What I'm thinking is mount the side shooters and the flood/spot combos on the big bar and aim them down and the spot beam pods on the high beams will be mounted up high and angled down to prevent blinding of other cars. Any advice on this?

See less See more
#2 ·
The picture I provided is an example of your first pictured light bar. It uses the two bolts at the front of the nose. The third picture you provided uses the same two bolts, I believe. They are a little tight to get in position sometimes. I have not seen your middle picture.

Attachments

Reactions: limpy45
#5 ·
First of all, I would check with the local/state police to see if it is even legal to have that many forward facing lights. I see that Florida does not have vehicle safety inspections, but to be safe before you put in all the work and money, check it out. Also, if you ride in a state that does prohibit excessive lighting, you may be pulled over.
And, even though you are using LED's, what is the total current draw going to be. Will the bike wiring handle it?

#7 ·
If you read the fine print most LED light bars and pods are sold for off road use only.

I've not heard of any motorcycles getting pulled over but 4X4 trucks are being pulled over as the lights not only need to be off but also covered so you can't use them at all while on the road.

Reactions: limpy45
#8 ·
I can see that on the 4x4 trucks, they have their lights up above the cab of the truck, and that is illegal in every state down here on the highways.

Our lights are handlebar height or lower, and I have never been stopped once and asked about my lights.

#12 ·
Thanks for all the input on this. It's been over a year, but that light bar was very effective. I swapped all the lights with LEDs, wired the aux lights to the high beam switch, and it's been flawless. Certainly not the cleanest look with the pods I picked, but I've never been in need of light.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.