Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Greetings!

I am a new member and a new owner of a 1989 GL1500 with 175,000+ miles. I think I am owner #4. It is in excellent shape and over the years hashad lots of goodies added, including a 6 CD player. It did arrive withour an Owners Manual, altho I did get the service manual.

My question deals with light bulbs. The turn signal bulbs are 1073 and the brake/running lights bulb is a 2057. The manual lists the tech specs but not the bulb number. Could the turn signal bulb be a 1157?

I would like to convert to LED's and wonder if anyone has any experience making the change.

I live in Spokane WA and belong to the local GW group. I rode a Kawasaki Voyager ZN1300 for 22 years.

Brian

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

if you have the service manual---the blub #s are in there , some where.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks for the quick response:waving:

I appreciate it. I do have the manual and have read the all the specs on the spec page + the info on removal.

I get numbers like 12V32cp (23W). No numbers like 2057 or 1073 or 1157. Perhaps someone has a chart that says what bulb specs (12V32cp) = what bulb number(1157).

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

ok-- you got me there. i am of no help. having never had to replace any of them.
bump

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

The tail/brake lights are 1157 type. Not sure about the turn signal but I think they are 1156. It will be fine to replace the tail/brake lights with LEDs. I have done that too but be careful with changing out the turn signal lights to LEDs. Might have trouble with the flasher not working right. Probably could find a flasher that would work with them but I don't know which one would work. A good place to get the LED bulbs is here. That is where I got mine. I would recommend the tower type bulbs for replaceing the brake lights.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts
imported post

The bulbs are 1156 for turn signals and 1157 for running and brake lights.

I have tried three different LED bulbs trying to replace the 1157's, none are as bright as the incandescents. I settled on 3496 incandescents, they are marginally brighter than the 1157's.

If you find a LED that is brighter than the stock incandescents, let us all know.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts
imported post

I have tried two different tower bulbs and they are not brighter. But I am willing to try again. What tower bulb did you buy to replace the 1157's ?

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Wow!
Thanks guys!

I will do the research/experiment and let you know.

I am VERY impressed with this forum.

blkeatts

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Hodgy wrote:

I have tried two different tower bulbs and they are not brighter. But I am willing to try again. What tower bulb did you buy to replace the 1157's ?

Hodgy
Did you click on my link above?

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Have to use red LEDs behind red lenses and yellow LEDs behind yellow lenses to get optimum light output. Clear LEDs don't give you more light behind colored lenses.

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts
imported post

Yes I looked at the link, those at $25 each are the ones you used ?

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Yes.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
imported post

When I had my instrument cluster disassembled not long ago, I found "heavy duty" bulbs at NAPA to replace instrument bulbs and burned out running lights. They were only a couple bucks each and they work great! I replaced more than a dozen bulbs on the bike.

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

They are a direct replacement for the 1157. Go to the link below and you will find the ones that I have in mine. They just plug in where the 1157 or 1156 came out. They are kind of expensive but work well. My voltmeter used to drop down about a volt or so at idle with the brakes on with the 1157 bulbs. With the LEDs there is no change in the voltage at idle because they draw such little current.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=%2Ftail-brake-turn.html

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,258 Posts
imported post

To answer your first question, at least on my 2000SE, the rear turn signal bulbs are a different number than standard, I was told a 'european' type bulb and the number is 7507. Got replacememtns at Autozone down the street. You will find that the posts on the bulb base are different.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.