Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Good Day, The centre latch to open the large truck has stopped working. I have removed the faring and can "see" up into the mechanism but I cannot trip the latch. Can someone help me. PRN

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

You need a wire coaty hanger or length pf brazing rod, hooked at one end. if you insert it between the 3 latch levers and up you will be able to hook the long bar that runs across (about 3 or 4 inches up) and pull it down. Usually takes quite a few attempts to get it.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Jason,

I am with you however is the long bar that I must hook in the back or front of the latch assembly?

Paul

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum Blackhat. :clapper:

:waving: :18red: :waving:

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

I knew we had discussed this before. Here is a picture of the trunk lock. The middle picture shows the bar that you need to pull down and the bottompicture shows the tab that pulls it when you operate theplastic lever. So you need to get your coat hanger up through the gap and turn the hook around (facing the back of the bike) and pull the long bar down. It isn't too easy but you will get it done.

By the way, what does PRN mean?BTW, FWIW etc I know but PRN I haven't seen used on forums before. Also BTW, welcome to the forum. Hope you find it useful.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Jason, A picture says a thousand words. Once I saw what you are were describing I had the box open on the first attempt. The reason the latch stopped working was because when I reinstalled the plastic piece with the "long bar" I neglected to insert it into the slot as indicated by the green dot on the third picture. Again thanks.

PRN is my first, middle and last inital - nothing sexy about it.

Until next time PRN

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Nice dots... obviously the fastest!:jumper:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Jason wrote:
By the way, what does PRN mean?
Hey Jason, :gunhead: I was sure that PRN meant "Please Reply Now" :whip: I thought to myself that Blackhat meant business. :crying: But now he tells us thatsthe initials for hisname. :jumper:I thought we were going to have another enquiry. :stumped:

:coollep: :18red: :coollep:

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Jason wrote:
I knew we had discussed this before. Here is a picture of the trunk lock. The middle picture shows the bar that you need to pull down and the bottompicture shows the tab that pulls it when you operate theplastic lever. So you need to get your coat hanger up through the gap and turn the hook around (facing the back of the bike) and pull the long bar down. It isn't too easy but you will get it done.
Well spotted Jason. I remember that one. I spent ages trying to find the old thread with that picture but you beat me to it! :p

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

Actually I couldn't find the thread either Alan, but I'm keeping track of all the locations of the tech pictures we post. That picture was posted by the wingnut months ago, he still has it in the same location as before so it was easy to find. Most topics get repeated every so often as new people join the forum with similar questions, so keeping track of the pictures makes sense.

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

I remember that topic, I think it was on the old forum if I'm not mistaken. Thta's why you can't find it here. Good idea keeping the URLs of the images, that way we can post them here without having to download them to our PC and the uploading them again.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

Jason et al....Thanks for the quick response. I'll be in the garage tomorrow with my coat hangar trying to snag the bar. I'll let you know
George

·
Premium Member
4,473 Posts
imported post

Nice fix Jason. Very smooth!:clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper:

~teacher~~~

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,529 Posts
imported post

Aw guys..... ;), you all surprise me. Don'cha know that PRN means "AS NEEDED"???

Now Blackhat had a need, and you all came along in his need :waving::waving::waving::waving:

'PRN' from the medical world means "as needed"... Why, I don't know. Just cause...:shock:

·
Life Time Premium Member
3,918 Posts
imported post

This thread confused me at first. I was wonder what kind of truck he accidentally locked his Goldwing in. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

PRN = Pro re nata

Hey Jason and Blackhat--I see no Wing type in your Avitars. tch tch.

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

I thought PRN was short for printer.??

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
imported post

When all else fails:

I'm going to append this little tidbit to this post, because I think it might come in handy to someone.

First of all, I want to say that the instructions herereally are invaluable, and my method should only be attempted whenthe above listed method won't work.

I found myself in that situation. I literally tried for 3 hours to properly hook the bar, and it didn't happen forme. I finally made the decision that one of three things was gong to happen- 1) I was going to have to take it to the shop, and pay a small fortune for them to fix it (if they could), 2) I was going to try something drastic and end up ruining the box and having topay a small fortune for a replacement, 3) I was going to try something drasting andmaybe not end upruining the box...

You can probably guess, I opted for the last option.

I'll repeat, the above recommendation is the best, if it will work for you.

If it doesn't - I pulled the seat, and used a dremmel too to cut aholebig enough to comfortably put my arm through. Don't be shy on this, ifyou make ittoo small, you'll really have a mess when you try to make it bigger.

Be sure to use something that will make a reasonably clean cut. You want a single piece to put back when you're done.

I then got the longest handled phillips screwdriver I could find in my garage, and unscrewed the two latches that lock into the mechanism. There are two screws for each latch. When you get them off, of course the trunk will open.

After I was finished with everything, I used a quality two part epoxy, put the piece back in place, and held it with black duct tape to let the epoxy dry. As it turned out, the black duct tape was so unnoticeable, I just left it in place.

The repaired hole is not visible from outside the trunk unless the seat is removed. I'm sure it's visible from the inside, but most of the gremlins seem to have moved out.

After you're done, reassemble it correctly this time, and learn from your experience. Be sure to check the adjustment on the latch tabs. If they're not positioned well, the trunk won't close properly.

In my case, a pice of the mechanism was underneat the latch bar. This was preventing the "hook the bar" method from working for me.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
imported post

Hparsons,I had to do the same thing when I put the latch together wrong after a tire change. I used a 31/2" hole saw & long phillips to release the latches. Mine was jammed so bad that with two hooks I was pulling the front wheel off the ground with the bike on the center stand! The whole rear trunk was bending down to the point I thought I was going to really damage something. I was able to glue the cutout back in using ABS epoxy . You cant see it because the cutout is behind the lower passenger seat pad. I hated to do it but aftre THREE days of trying I was ready to blow up the entire bike!

1 - 20 of 117 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.