Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I am new to this forum and write to you guys from Germany... So I hope my english is good enough to explain my problem... ;)

We have a GL1500 that looses power after riding just some miles, like 10-15 miles...
But it's not like the "auto valve problem", because it starts loosing power until bike finaly stops... After waiting some time you can restart and have the same results...

When you work on the bike and have it runing in the service area, you can accelerate it or let it run for half an hour without any problems... BUT when you put on your helmet and go out for a test ride, same result: after about 10-12 miles the bike throttle goes down till you can call somebody to pick you up with a trailer :-((

We do work on GL1500 for many years but never had something like this... With all the "normal" Carb or Auto Valve problems we are familiar, but this bike is getting us....

As I say it feels like a fuel problem but we already did so many things:

- installed brand new fuel pump
- made a bypass to the auto valve
- changed carbes with another gl1500
- changed fuel cap
- drove without fuel cap

So, when we think about fuel problem, everything without the fuel tank itself is changed but nothing changes...

Then we thought maybe it's an electrical issue and changed the Engine Control Unit, without no changes as well...
When you have it in service all 6 sparkplugs have fire!

Only the ignition Coils we did not chnage yet, that is the next step...

I have the hope that somonbe had such a problem already in the past???

I would appreciate any help!!!

Kind Regards,

Tobias

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
...we already did so many things:
- changed fuel cap
- drove without fuel cap
Plugged fuel filter?

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
What colour are the plugs when it dies? Is it getting too much fuel in the cylinders or not enough

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Pulse generators

that is pretty much the exact description I have read over and over about failing pulse generators

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
When the bike returns to your shop, do you need to recharge the battery?

Maybe attaching a volt-meter to monitor charging on your next test ride would be a good idea. ??

·
It aint rocket science
3,966 Posts
Hello!
We do work on GL1500 for many years but never had something like this... With all the "normal" Carb or Auto Valve problems we are familiar, but this bike is getting us....

As I say it feels like a fuel problem but we already did so many things:

- changed fuel cap
- drove without fuel cap

So, when we think about fuel problem, everything without the fuel tank itself is changed but nothing changes...

Then we thought maybe it's an electrical issue and changed the Engine Control Unit, without no changes as well...
When you have it in service all 6 sparkplugs have fire!

Only the ignition Coils we did not chnage yet, that is the next step..
Welcome to the forum.

Stop replacing parts according to how you think it FEELS what should be the problem.

Start with some DIAGNOSIS and testing.

If this problem repeats like clockwork it will be necessary to LOOK at the system. Ride it without the top shelter until it stalls, remove air box cover and twist throttle a number of times.

If the accelerator pump pumps fuel a good amount of squirts, the carbs (at least the right) have to be full of fuel. No ifs, ands or buts and saves a whole bunch of headaches from throwing parts at a problem.

It does sound fuel related but you must start to TEST components to isolate the problem.:?

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Welcome to the forum Tobias

you are in good hand already you have good points to check as for my suggestion when the engine die immidiatly is there spark and is there fuel comming out of filter
keep us posted cheers

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
I had a similar problem. Driving it without the fake fuel tank cover, if you have a clear fuel filter, you can at least see whether the fuel pump is actually delivering fuel. Your problem also sounds like it could be bad ignition coils or crank position sensors (pulse generators). Did you inspect the vacuum lines when the carb was removed? There is one particular vacuum line which has been problematic for some - more info here: http://www.jmartino.me/carb/index.htm Hope you can figure it out.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
When mine feels like a fuel problem I take the fuel filter off and drain it. See what comes out? Does it look like gas? I have replaced my fuel filter once this year, and it feels like I may have to do it again. Remember the old days when the hype was a fuel filter right there at the gas pump nozzle? Now days seems like you get lots of junk in with your over priced gas.

gumbyred

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
Are you sure the tank is clean. I had a friend with an old truck that would quit randomly then after a time about 10min it would start and run fine. One day he pulled the tank and found a ball that would float in the gas and sometimes stick to the fuel line exiting the tank and stop the fuel.

Of coarse I don't think that is your problem But I would put a new clear fuel filter on to be sure. (so you can see if it has fuel in it when it quits)

Also might not be a bad idea to get one of these Flashing Spark Plug Caps to be sure you have spark when it quits.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.