Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 1500 glodwing and at 55mph and faster the motor starts to sputer and losses power at low speeds and at idle it runs fine. I have had it at two Honda dealers with no results. They have cleaned the carbs twice, replace the fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel tank cap with no results. I am wonder if any one has any advice

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

Hmmm. This is unusual on the GL1500. Assuming the carbs have been overhauled properly, and also the fact that this happens at a set speed I would be looking at the possibility of a pulse genny going bad, or an ignition coil. If exavid (Paul) is looking in later he might have a better input, Paul is the main tech man here on the GL1500 in my opinion. By the way, welcome to the forum DJ 1500.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving:Welcome to the Best Goldwing Site on the Internet DJ 1500!:waving::waving:

Actually Vic and Twisty are probably better carb men.Thething to dois to find a wayto decide whether we are looking at a carb or anignition problem as Jason mentioned. It could be either one. Getting the carbs cleaned isn't a real gaurantee since if the first shop misassembled the carb it's likely the second one wouldn't find it, they most likely would just put things back together as they found it.

Will the bike misfire with the engine running in neutral on the stand or does it have to be under load?

Just for laughstry putting on your choke when the engine starts misfiring to see if there's any improvement. Probably the best thing to do first is to take a look at the spark plugs, see what their color looks like and how the left and right set compare. There's a possibility of a carb sync error since the engine runs okay until the throttles are opened. If you have access to a Clymer's manual and a couple of vacuum gauges checking that would be a worth while effort. Those would be the two things I'd check first. If you can try it and let us know what you find out.

I'm sure there will be better suggestions coming so keep tuned!

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

Can it be again...

Check the plugs.

Are any of them "Different looking" than the others.

Could be the dreaded...Nooo...Vacuum Petcock.

If you have a vacuum leak in the line from the intake runner to the petcock, you may pass enough fuel for low RPM and not enough for high RPM.

Check the hose ends at both ends.

Ever have the dreaded gasoline (Petrol) smell in the garage after shutting it off for the night.

First check the plugs, then get back to us.

Sounds like you are having at least one cylinder dropping out to be losing power like that.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
imported post

Can't see this being carbs after then being stripped twice. Paul and Twisty are the men for this, Twisty is a newcomeer to the forum but he's proven himself already.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
You dragged up a 7 year old thread jballard, and it is started by another member. You might be better off starting your own thread and explain what is wrong with your Goldwing.

·
Administrator
26,013 Posts
And another example of the OP never coming back with an answer as to what did or did not fix the problem.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
I had a similar problem with mine- acted like a bad fuel pump. Replacing slides and diaphragms in the carbs finally solved the problem. The old ones had dry rotted and developed pin holes.

·
Registered
517 Posts
one possibility not mentioned is a faulty charging system. On many bikes if the charging system is deficient the bike will start to miss once the revs get to a certain point. this will happen regardless of the gear if its electrical.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.