Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 1998 Goldwing with only 31000 miles,and within the past three weeks when riding for the first 5 min , when you are in overdrive and twist the throttle at aprox 45 mph, the bike does nothing and actually slows down like it is in neutral, however if you downshift to a lower gear it goes like hell and then when you shift into overdrive it runs fine with no problems the rest of the day. This has happened twice within the last 3 weeks...( and yes the choke is off)..Thanks Bruce

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Run a buttload of SeaFoam through it and then once everything is clean, balance the carbs.
You might be amazed.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

you probly shouldnt be openning the throttle wide at only 45mph in od . i'm shure it should pull from there but would be hard on the engine im thinking.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,188 Posts
imported post

Opening the throttle in 5th gear from 5 mph right on up to 100+ is not going to hurt a thing.

It will bog the engine at the lower speeds, but as it gets up steam and passes 2000 rpm, it is going to haul the mail.

I agree with Rudy.

My '98Se of late, had been sitting too much. Medical reasons. Would not idle, hard to start, open the throttle from idle and it would just die.

I dumped in two cans of Sea Foam to about 4 gallons of fuel. Road that around for a bit to slosh it all up. Then I let it sit for a few days, more like a week or more. It "might have" been a bit better the next time, but with each fill up, I am putting in a full can of Sea Foam at fill ups before pumping in the gas.

Last weekend, it started right up the way it should. I put about 25 miles on it and stuck her in the garage. I had to make a run to Okie land and back, so it was 8 days before I started it again.

During the past 8 days, that strong Sea Foam mixture has been soaking the idle circuits and did a yeoman job of it too.

Today, I started it up, varoom on the 2nd spin of maybe 2 seconds from the first "click". Instantly revved up to 2500 rpms just like always for me. I always start it with a FULL mixture enrichment, and NO throttle twist. (that is important)

Varoom and I backed off the mixture enrichment (choke to some, but it is NOT a choke butterfly) and the idle settled down to 1500 rpm nice and easy. Let it idle while I suited up, and dumped the "choke" completely, goosed the throttle and eased out on the clutch and it was like a "Home Sick Angel".

Sea Foam is a miracle worker.
BUT, you cannot expect that miracle to occur in one use of it. That varnish did not build up in one day, and it takes more than one day to dissolve that stuff.

But, I can guarantee, that if you are patient, you will NOT have to pull the carbs off.

Oh, I always keep a Battery Tender Jr. on it to keep the battery voltage up to snuff. That is the 2nd thing you need to know about GL1500s. Low battery voltage and it is NOT going to start until you release the starter button.

That's my 0.125 cents worth, economy is down you know.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Well in my 90 1500 owners manual on page 65 it states
"Never lug engine with full throttle at low engine speed. This rule applicable not only during break in but at all times"
Seems like a pretty clear referance to me
Wilf

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
imported post

I'm finding what you say about seafoam so true in my case as well!!:thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.