Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...and the correct answer is:

"Rudy's keepers" - *sighs* :sadguy:

My newly acquired '92 Aspencade, which I just took for the first nice little ride, lost a fender trim. (...and I ordered a new one from Mother H. - ouch! - for the price of ten sets of Rudy's keepers)
After a short read here I ordered a set of Rudy's keepers too. (You're always smarter in hindsight...)

Should I get the other ones too? (I only ordered the fender keeper so far)
I have never lost a grommet secured piece off of any of my bikes, so I wasn't too concerned before it happened. I'm still wondering how likely it is, or if I did something wrong when I took the piece off to check some cable connections (one out of six marker lights down there is a bit dim - a PO had replaced the bulbs by a LED cluster - not sure yet if I have to replace it)

It seems that Rudy's stuff will arrive even before the trim, but still, I wonder if there's something I could've done wrong when putting the trim back on...

...just wanted to share...

doc.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Those fender trims are easy to lose Doc. The rubber grommet can get pushed through too far and fall out. Also some owners fail to push the rear edge of the trim into the recess in the back part of the fender. They leave it sitting on top and it falls off.
Rudy's keepers are certainly worth buying and save money and grief.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Get the whole set of Rudy Keepers and secure everything!

It is fairly common to see a post someone lost a side cover, or a rear pocket door also

Don't feel to bad about what you lost, I bought my 88 about 700 miles from home. About 150 miles from home I saw I lost the battery side cover!

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
And change the grommets too!

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
and try to remember also to twist the grommets a little each time u remove a cover, that way the rubber doesnt get worn in on one spot and it helps keep em in place...

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
and try to remember also to twist the grommets a little each time u remove a cover, that way the rubber doesnt get worn in on one spot and it helps keep em in place...
Thank you - that's a good one. Absolutely makes sense but I never thought about it.

Rudy's Keepers arrived even before the replacement from Mother Honda - I installed everything last night. (Had it all warm up inside the house before sticking the ABS on though - still a bit on the chilly side in the garage)

doc.

·
Premium Member
12,868 Posts
Hello and Welcome .
Does your front fender have trim / bumper mounted to it ? It's known to cause the fender to crack at its inner bracing . Then it flexes and causes the trim cover to pop out/off .

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello and Welcome .
Does your front fender have trim / bumper mounted to it ? It's known to cause the fender to crack at its inner bracing . Then it flexes and causes the trim cover to pop out/off .
It indeed has a bumper installed - no visible crack though. But thanks for your input.

doc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.