Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning Gang

Went to go for a drive yetersday and notice no R light, no temp Guage, no Fuel Guage, and no OD Light when in Overdrive. Then looked again after I got home and no tail lights.
Fuses are all fine, from manual traced it to possible relay problem….fun getting the relay cover off without removing ……seat or saddle bag I think. I will look again tonight. Anyone runinto this? I suspect relay fter review of electrical schematic with my buddy St, any other thoughts…..?

Thanks in advance ….of to work I go I will look later.
Temperatures in the 80's here I gotta go by bike everywhere.

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
The 15 amp tail/meter fuse and the #3 tail/main relay fed those circuits. If the fuse is good it is likely the relay. You will need to remove the seat and maybe loosen the saddlebag to get to those relays.

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts

It's probably the #3 relay. I have had mine go twice on my 97' SE. You can get to the relays by removing the seat and wiggling the cover off.

The cost of the relay from Mother Honda will floor you, order on line and get two or three.

Most of the relays in there are the same, take the relay for the compressor and use it to replace the #3 until you get the new ones.

If I can find where I ordered mine from, will post it later.

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
Some were on the site is a list of aftermart parts that will work (timing belts, relayerand so on). I know that a friend got his(relay) a NAPA auto parts but I can't remember the number of the part.

Hickey

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
I suspect relay fter review of electrical schematic with my buddy St, any other thoughts…..?
Greener,
With a 16 yr. old bike (mine is also), I'm sure relays and fuses can eventually go bad due to time and use. However, if you didn't, you might want to check your wiring and connections on that circuit to see if there's a reason the relay failed.

My story (sorry, a little long):
A few years ago, my #3 relay failed and I replaced it. Several months later it happened again. I decided to take the cheaper route and replaced it with a same size relay from an older Honda Civic or Accord, I can't remember which. Again, in just a couple of months, same problem. After visually checking the components and connections on that circuit, and not finding anything, I installed a 30 amp relay. Upon arriving home one day after my 180 mile roundtrip commute to/from work, the relay failed again and I smelled plastic burning. I quickly pulled the cover off and found that the relay holder had melted and burnt about 2 inches of the wiring leading to #3 relay.

Feeling blessed to have made it home safely without catching fire, I began a more thorough search for the cause. After removing any and all additional lights and accessories, I finally discovered what I think was the problem. The weather-tight connector linking my bike to my sidecar had ceased being weather-tight and was corroted inside. I replace the connector, sealed it well, and installed another "stock" relay. While the 30 amp relay was not the cause, it may have masked the true culprit and almost caused me greater damage or injury.

Disclaimer: My knowledge of electronics is pre-school at best. I humbly invite those with more knowledge (probably 95% of you :)) to comment on my conclusions.

·
Administrator
27,929 Posts
Greener,
With a 16 yr. old bike (mine is also), I'm sure relays and fuses can eventually go bad due to time and use. However, if you didn't, you might want to check your wiring and connections on that circuit to see if there's a reason the relay failed.

My story (sorry, a little long):
A few years ago, my #3 relay failed and I replaced it. Several months later it happened again. I decided to take the cheaper route and replaced it with a same size relay from an older Honda Civic or Accord, I can't remember which. Again, in just a couple of months, same problem. After visually checking the components and connections on that circuit, and not finding anything, I installed a 30 amp relay. Upon arriving home one day after my 180 mile roundtrip commute to/from work, the relay failed again and I smelled plastic burning. I quickly pulled the cover off and found that the relay holder had melted and burnt about 2 inches of the wiring leading to #3 relay.

Feeling blessed to have made it home safely without catching fire, I began a more thorough search for the cause. After removing any and all additional lights and accessories, I finally discovered what I think was the problem. The weather-tight connector linking my bike to my sidecar had ceased being weather-tight and was corroted inside. I replace the connector, sealed it well, and installed another "stock" relay. While the 30 amp relay was not the cause, it may have masked the true culprit and almost caused me greater damage or injury.

Disclaimer: My knowledge of electronics is pre-school at best. I humbly invite those with more knowledge (probably 95% of you :)) to comment on my conclusions.
The heavier duty 30 amp relay is a good idea and it is not the cause of the burning connector, a relay is only a switch and whatever power goes through it is what is demanded by what it operates. The terminal burns because of years of built up resistance which causes heat and then it just continues to get worse.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
I am having the same problem with my #3 relay, the last inch of the wire going to the back of the board where 3 is located is burnt......my question is how do you get that wire out of the board to replace a section of it?

Thanks
Ed
near Philadelphia

·
killer driller
781 Posts
I am having the same problem with my #3 relay, the last inch of the wire going to the back of the board where 3 is located is burnt......my question is how do you get that wire out of the board to replace a section of it?

Thanks
Ed
near Philadelphia
If it were me I would start my own thread, you'll probably get more responses

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.