Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 1989 GW 1500. Developed a low end miss from 1000 to 2000 rpm.
Above that it runs great. Just noticed the other day sounds like a spark tick during this time also. Really need help with this one.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
Prolly just a fouled low jet causing one bank of cylinders to go lean. Pretty common on the 88-89s . many times this can be cleared with a course of carb-cleaner in the fuel (for me, it'd be change to a fresh OEM or NAPA fuel filter, then add half a can of Seafoam to at least 3-gallons of fuel, ride it for about 20-miles, then let it sit at least overnight, then drive the fuel outta it and put the rest of the Seafoam in with the next tank)

·
Registered
173 Posts
First i would pull the fuses to all the lights. run the engine in a very dark place, follow the plug wires back to the coils, looking for anney electrical leak. (spark or blue glow) If nothing. get a can of starter fluid and SPARINGLY spray around carbs connections/gaskets,& vacume hoses. JUST very short bursts because if somthing ingnits the spray you dont want a flame thrower. And you find a spot that changes the miss, you found the vaccum leek causing the miss.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Have a 1989 GW 1500. Developed a low end miss from 1000 to 2000 rpm.
Above that it runs great. Just noticed the other day sounds like a spark tick during this time also. Really need help with this one.
Does it 'Tick' upon deceleration?... If so, then might be an exhaust leak between the headers and engine block.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Give it a little shot of choke when it's missing. If it helps a whole lot you probably have a vacuum leak or carb cloggage. If not, it makes ignition a reasonable possibility. Spark leakage does make a 'snapping' sound so maybe follow that 'tick' if possible. Don't overlook resistor caps/spark plugs. The spark could be shorting/arcing where you can't see it.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Pull a spark plug wire while it's running to find the dead cylinder. If the motor runs worse, replace the wire and move on to the next. When you find the "right" one, it will have no effect. I agree with Satan (on this one), probably one low jet is clogged.

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
Does it 'Tick' upon deceleration?... If so, then might be an exhaust leak between the headers and engine block.
That tick would be much more prevelant under acceleration, not deceleration. Also, in cars, a spark plug that has worked itself a little loose will make the same kind of sound. Although, I really dont see that as being your problem since it goes away above 2000rpm.

·
Registered
173 Posts
DONT PULL THE PLUG WIRE! YOU WILL BE KILLING 2 PLUGS IN DOING THAT.it does not return power through the ground but through the other plug to the coil.:readit:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.