Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1989 GW, just wondering if anyone knows if there is a way to adjust the low fuel light. I have never seen the light come on (except during ignition on) so I decided to drive around my neighborhood until the light came on or it ran out of gas. The guage got so low, way way below the low "E" to the point where it wouldn't even move when I started the bike. Then, a few days of driving it, the light finally came on. Is there a way to adjust that so the light would come on sooner?

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
The low fuel light is a thermistor if I'm correct. It is fixed stationary on the bottom of the fuel sender. I suppose you could remount it higher, BUT. Why don't you adjust the fuel float for a correct reading. From your description, it sounds like it reads too low.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
If it were mine...........and I couldn't stand it............
I would drain the tank, add 1 gal of fuel, then adjust the float arm so that it just starts to read empty. That way I'd know how much was actually left in the tank when it said "E".
If it were mine...........and I just couldn't stand it.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Hi mikeinflorida, on the front left of the fuel tank is the fuel sensor assembly. This needs to be removed and the float arm carefully adjusted (bend it!) to read the level as you wish. As glhonda said, ideally drain the tank and put in say 1 gallon or 2-3 litres maybe and adjust it to come on with that amount remaining. You then know how much you have when the fuel light comes on (initially dimly)
Cheers,
Peter.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,949 Posts
The light should come on with 1 gal. left in the tank. How much fuel did yours take at fill up?

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
+! DD..figure out what's it's telling you before you adjust it maybe be right on for 1 gallon left. Drive aroudn until it comes on then go to a gas station and fill up..if it takes 4.3to 5 or so gallons it right on

·
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer
634 Posts
It can be done ..but is it worth it..?

If the light is coming on and you only add 5.3 gallons of less it is working perfectly...
The fuel level idicator is NOT a lineal device.
The odd shape of the fuel tank prevents it from showing accurate readings. Ever notice how long it takes to get to 1/2 empty..then quickly to empty...
The needle will show below empty and still have 1+ gallons to use...

The Light and experience knowing your fuel economy will tell you how you are doing...

Example...
If my light comes on at 185.5 miles..I know I have used 5.3 gallons which equates to 35 MPG so I have another 1 gallon in the tank which is 35 miles to go to empty...

But that number changes as fuel economy changes...

At 75 MPH that may come down to 33 MPG andat 50 MPH it might be 45 MPG... So the only way to KNOW is to be aware of fuel use economy at typical driving conditions...back roads VS interstate, country highways VS city riding

For me the typical use is as follows
Back roads (55 to 60 mph) = 45 mpg average
Interstate (75 mph ) = 35 to 37 MPG
Country highways ( 45 mph ) = 45 - 47 MPG avereage
City riding (stop & go) = 38 MPG

That is based on experience and keeping track everytime I fill up...

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Just a side note.It's not a good idea to run it too low anyway as the fuel helps cool the fuel pump.The pumps last longer if they're kept cooler.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
My low fuel indicator light comes 20 or 30 seconds before you are totally out of gas. I had 190 miles on that particular tank of gas and the light just flickered on and gave me that much time to pull over. Fortunately I was close to home. I now run 145-160 miles between fillups. I do not ever worry about low fuel light coming on.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Theres no way to adjust the light, but I think what your asking is if you can adjust the fuel guage. Yes you can! Easily.

Get a stiff wire, like a coat hanger and a 3/8" or 1/2" wooden dowel.

Bend a small hook on one end of the coat hanger, and add a grove on the very end of the dowel.

Through the gas cap hole, you can use the coat hanger to hold up the float rod (nearer the float), then put the wooden dowel in the hole to bend the rod toward the center, to bend it to the point that your fuel gauge is reading closer to true. I took small bends to make sure I didn't over do it and it took 2 tries to get it right. However if you over bend it, just bend the rod the other way and your good to go.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
That's good Wingsconsin and somewhat how I do mine also.
But that number also changes without knowing it changed when I get a bad tank of gas!

Best to know the bike well though and not push it till the low fuel light comes on for me.
Either adjust the sending unit to read correct at empty, or learn how low below empty the gauge travels. I think my 88 would go about 1/4 tank below empty before it runs out. So it was like a 5/4 gauge from full to actual tank empty LOL

Having a correct reading gauge or knowing how to read it is more important than when the fuel light comes on to me. I have gotten bad gas or something 2 times now in 2 years where my MPG really dropped bad for just one tank!
On my 88 when I first got it I only got about 25mpg one tank, but that was running near 85mph and fighting extreme winds, later it got a normal of about 37MPG

Once I got some bad gas at a SHELL station and going by mileage ran (180 miles) I should have had plenty of gas still, but I ran out just as I made a turn into the station and was lucky I could coast downhill to the pumps.
What as really lucky for me is I was going to stop for coffee 3 miles extra riding over near wifes work but decided to stop over near the gas station instead, had I got coffee there I would have ran out with no station near.
Also lucky was that I choose to get gas first not coffee first! It was really that close!
If I had turned right into a drive to get coffee I would have gone uphill and been out of gas before even parking, turning left I ran out going down hill into the station! I was sitting level when I ran out and wobbling the bike did not sloosh gas to make it run either. I was OUT!
I should have been able to do 233 miles or more before being totally out on that tank, normal running speeds and good calm weather and my normal 37.8mpg should have been close, but instead I only was able to ride 180 miles which was about 28.6mpg give or take a bit. A loss of 53 miles on that tank of gas for some reason, I should have still had near 1.4gal in my tank, but I did not!!

Another close call with bad gas was last year riding NV. to CA. when I was getting mostly 40-42mpg on the 95 I had just bought, then suddenly for no reason I only got about 30mpg! I had just rode CA. to NV on same route the day before, so I knew I should have plenty of gas between the stations I was using.
I was sweating bullets looking at the low fuel light in middle of nowhere!
I was lucky to get to an exit and ride about 4 miles down a country road and got gas. As I recall I may have had enough gas left to ride another 20 miles maybe once I filled up and checked my MPG for that tank!
With fresh gas I went back up to the 40-42mpg again.
There was no reason for my MPG to change so drastic like that for that one tank either.

So when on a trip trying to guess anything by MPG and miles rode, or figure X number of miles left when low fuel light comes on can get us into trouble fast if we get a bad tank of gas!
Normally I never get low enough for my fuel light to come on so if it does I either got bad gas or fighting really bad winds etc..

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
My low fuel indicator light comes 20 or 30 seconds before you are totally out of gas. I had 190 miles on that particular tank of gas and the light just flickered on and gave me that much time to pull over. Fortunately I was close to home. I now run 145-160 miles between fillups. I do not ever worry about low fuel light coming on.
You may need to check the gas you buy or tune up the wing. Or you ride pretty hard maybe ;)
Normally on my 88 I would get gas about 180-190miles and have plenty left!
My normal MPG was 37.8 and with 6.3 gals should have a range of about 238 miles before running out.
But I don't like to push it. I mean push close to running out OR push the bike either one :ROFL:

·
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer
634 Posts
To Chromo et al. --

The bad gas or reduced mileage theory is superceded by my system.

I have a chart laminated and velcroed to my handlebars that shows my expected MPG to EMPTY...
It looks like this kinda....

Miles at Light on - Current MPG - Miles at Empty
185.5 ---- 35 ----220.5
190.8 ---- 36 ----226.8
196.1 ---- 37 ----233.1

And so on from a low of 33 MPG to a high of 45 MPG.

So -- when the light comes on I look and SEE HOW MANY MORE MILES I have toget to a fuel stop..and it adjusts itself everytime as the conditions change regardless of the gas quality, driving speeds, head winds, etc. etc. Because we all know that fuel economy can change dramatically somedays..
In the mountains I average close to 50 MPG andmy chart doesn't even go that high...But thankfully my limit is about 200 miles anyway before I need a break...But I have 250 miles on a tank twice now...

It has never failed me over 50,000 miles (so far):praying:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.