Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I discovered a new and interesting noise on my 1990 Wing yesterday...looking for advice.

I rode about 30 miles yesterday and heard nothing unusual until exiting the interstate for gas. Slowing to a stoplight, and using the engine to help with braking, I began to hear sort of a "rattle" when I shifted to 2nd gear. The noise seems to be near the front end of the bike. It was more pronounced in 1st gear.

Got my gas then did a little riding in a nearby parking lot to determine the source. I can find nothing lose on the surface of the bike but there is a definite rattle/vibration in the lower gears when the rpms are higher. When I pull in the clutch, the noise lessens or disappears. Leave the clutch out, and it comes back.

I friend asked if GL's have a "slipper clutch" ... Ummm? Anyone know? :? If not a slipper clutch, does anyone have a suggestion about where to begin looking?:?

Thanks, gang!

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

Does it seem to shift okay? Try putting the bike on the center stannd and spinning rear wheel while in nuetral. Do you have a heel toe shifter? Know nothing about slipper clutches on Gold Wings.
Tom Bishop
`98 S.E.

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

I dont think you have mentioned the milage of your bike . The shaft drive system does need maint . ITs normally best done when replacing the rear tire as you already have it nearly apart . The plines on the transmission output shaft , input splines to the rear drive case and splines on the drive hub adaptor - all need Honda Pro Moly 60 Paste applied to them . Some shops use a grease with lesser or no Moly at all . This will allow faster wear to these spline drives as will no lube .

This may not be your problem but is something to look into . Did you recieve any maint history when you purchsed the bike ?

:GL1500 Goldwing Rear Wheel Removal

:GL1500 Goldwing Final Drive Removal

You say your not to mechanically inclined , the above 2 links may help explain the whereabouts on the splines and lube points to check .

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

The bike in question has 60,000 miles on it (I've put on about half of those). Although I sometimes get caught in neutral shifting from 1st to 2nd, it otherwise shifts fine. The fluids are checked and replaced annually.

Yes, I've got a heel-toe shifter that seems to have a bit of odd, sideways kind of movement in the shifter shaft that goes into the engine...but that seems to be sort of "normal" (at least compared to other GL1500 shifter shafts that we looked at).

I had a rear tire installed a while back (1 or 2 years) and I sure hope that my Honda dealer would have greased those things needing it, but one can never be sure.

I have a ride-off center stand that doesn't allow the rear wheel to turn freely so I'll get my guy to help with propping it up and turning the wheel.

Thanks for the ideas...we'll keep looking.

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

Sit on the bike with the engine running in neutral not on the center stand and push down /pull upon the forks see if the noise gets any worse and let us know the result

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

So, agnogel...what are you thinking? I just went out to the garage and started it up. Holding the brake lever in and pushing *does* seem to result in a noise that I haven't noticed before. Not sure it's the same one but it sounds like a similar, but shortened version of what I hear in 1st & 2nd with back pressure. I can't imagine the problem being forks. I had new Progressive springs installed about 6 weeks ago.

Keep those ideas coming guys! Don't like the idea of my Wing sounding like it's got air brakes! :)

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/1500gearsfix.htm

Now sorry wing nut i had to go out for a while what it sounds like is you have the start of the dreaded 4gear selector fork trouble if you read on the link it will explain it for you and what happens is 1st 2end 3rd gears are on the one shaft and 4th / 5th areon another when you use 1/2/3 rd that leaves the 4/5 in free play thats when the 4th gear selector vibrates back and forward when the bike dips or pulls up not good news i am afraid
one of the causes can be the heal toe shifter

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I read through the link you provided and saw the sound described as "gravel in a Pepsi can". Couldn't have described the sound better myself (obviously). Dang!

Thanks for the feedback. Now I shall weep.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

Did you completely rebuild the forks when you put in the new springs? I like to take the forks completely apart and clean them out before putting in new fork seals, and upper and lower bushings. I can`t seem to get more than 70,000 miles out of a front fork rebuild. You have 60,000 miles now. Hope its something simpler (cheaper?) than the transmission.
Tom Bishop
`98 S.E.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

WingNutLori wrote:
...I had a rear tire installed a while back (1 or 2 years) and I sure hope that my Honda dealer would have greased those things needing it, but one can never be sure...
> It's Doubtful that they did that... If they greased the driveline at all, then it likely would only have been the Hub on the rear wheel, but not the drive shaft too, as that takes extra work to get too.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

The front forks were completely rebuilt (new bushings, Progressive springs, etc.). I'm pretty sure the problem isn't there.

About a month ago, while riding the Tail of the Dragon in Tennessee, I discovered a *clunk* following a downshift. I would hear it about 2 seconds after applying a little throttle. The *clunk* occurred for me from 5th to 4th; from 4th to 3rd; and 3rd to second.

If you've ridden the Tail, you know there are a LOT (318)of curves on this little stretch of country road. I'm a bit cautious in my driving and I did a WHOLE LOT of up-and-down movement through the gears!

My local repair guy checked it out and could reproduce the noise only between 5th and 4th. He told me that this is somewhat "normal" for a Goldwing. I'm starting to think that the transmission/gear problem has been coming on for a while now and I just didn't realize it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.