Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I had a battery drain problem and took the battery to be checked and it was good but very low
They replaced it anyway
It still shows no increase in voltage
I was told to check the regulator before i replace the alternator
Where is it and how do i check it
Thanks for your help

·
Registered
239 Posts
In addition to what bike is in question. how long has the bike set(if any)?
Batteries can drain themselves over time. Just asking.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello,
My bike is a 1988 gl1500
I ride my bike every other day and everytime it was easy starting till one day it cranked slow and would not start
I had this problem before and when I had the battery checked it was bad so I replaced it and a year later it started again and I had the battery checked and it wad good but the store repalced it for me anyway and after I instaled it I started it showed 12.29 volts, than I took it to the store and back I left it over night.
The next day I hooked up my multimeter and started it it went up and down in volts and than just keep going down

PLEASE HELP

·
Registered
239 Posts
Is this after you run the bike? If so, the bike isn't charging.
If the bike is charging, either you have a draw or bad batteries. Is the place you buying the batteries charging them INITIALLY? If not, that could do it(usually takes 2-3 months though).

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,326 Posts
You don't say how many miles are on the bike, but GL15's alternators don't last forever, and it sounds like yours is in need of R or R.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Sounds like the alternator brushes may be sticking. Have they been changed or checked in the last 25 years?

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
...I ride my bike every other day...PLEASE HELP
It's likely that your alternator needs service, probably due to sticking/worn brushes... they need to be serviced every 20k miles.

If you're in a pinch, I have a spare alternator that you may borrow... PM me if interested.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.