Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 1994 Interstate, all stock. I only get 31 mpg usually, and that is 90% interstate riding 70mph, with 10% side streets to get to my house. Tires are around 40 PSI on average.

I read about these guys that get 35, even 40 mpg. Is there something I can do, or check settings on that will increase my MPG??

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
imported post

Slow down. When I stay at 65 or below is when I do the best for MPG. Also, I seem to get better mileage when I use 87 octain.

Bill

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

I got an unbelievable 51 MPG (imperial) on a new to me 85 Aspencade, two up, neither of us is on the heavy side, back road riding.
Speeds we ran were probably no more than 50mph and a lot less in places.
Going to do another check to make sure I didnt make a mistake, it's a lot more than my older 85 Aspy

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
imported post

My 82I got 48 on one 2-up ride where we stayed at 50 and below, but 1500s are totally different animals.

Bill

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
imported post

Best I can get with my 1500 Aspy is 35. One up and I weigh 175lb. I do know if you go over the 3k on the tach you lose mpg's quickly. Always wondered about the ones who say they get 40-50.

But all in all I didn't buy the bike for milage but because I love to ride.

Go forth and ride.

Dell

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Around town I get 42.5 MPG on average. I have an 85 LTD with the trip computer so I can see what My MPG is at all times. The other night I took it on the highway for about 18 miles and noticed that my average MPG dropped from 42.5 to 42.2 in that 18 miles of 70 to 75 MPH driving (the 42.5 average was over 174 miles of driving). Im pretty good at math, but no mathematician, so I couldn't tell you what my MPG was at 70 at that time. I am going to try it again and hit the instantaneous button which will tell me what I am getting at the moment because I thought even if I was doing 70, due to the constant speed it would have gotten at least the same or better mileage.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Running over 3000 rpm drops the fuel consumption noticeably :action::action:

·
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer
632 Posts
imported post

Drag coefficient vs Horsepower is the answer...

At 3000 RPM your motorcycle is not able to efficiently overcome the drag and the horsepower required to do so is generated by fuel consumption.

The 3000 RPM barrier is a coincidence (in my opinion). It is more likely the SPEED you are running..Under 3000 RPM you will be running closer to 67 MPH. At that speed you should realize an increase to 35 +/- MPG over the 31 MPG you are getting now.

My bike has a Tulsa Tall windshield and NO WIND WINGS (nothing to add drag) and at the 3000RPM/67-68 MPH mark I will get about 37-38 MPG.

To achieve over 40 MPG I must slow down to 61-63 MPH or down to 55 MPH.

Drag is the culprit - not only RPM's.

Want better Fuel economy...? Slow down...Speed comes at a cost....

Your Mileage may vary

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

Wingsconsin wrote:
Drag coefficient vs Horsepower is the answer...

At 3000 RPM your motorcycle is not able to efficiently overcome the drag and the horsepower required to do so is generated by fuel consumption.

The 3000 RPM barrier is a coincidence (in my opinion). It is more likely the SPEED you are running..Under 3000 RPM you will be running closer to 67 MPH. At that speed you should realize an increase to 35 +/- MPG over the 31 MPG you are getting now.

My bike has a Tulsa Tall windshield and NO WIND WINGS (nothing to add drag) and at the 3000RPM/67-68 MPH mark I will get about 37-38 MPG.

To achieve over 40 MPG I must slow down to 61-63 MPH or down to 55 MPH.

Drag is the culprit - not only RPM's.

Want better Fuel economy...? Slow down...Speed comes at a cost....

Your Mileage may vary
> Ditto... I use a smaller diameter Car Tire on the rear of my bike, which causes the rpm's to climb slightly... yet, No Difference in mpg depite cruising at 3,500rpm rather than the former 3,000

> Also important is Acceleration... Being Heavy handed around town will drop your mpg by 10 (eg 30mpg),where-as gentle constant speed cruising at 65mph will give 40 - 50mpg depending on altitude.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
imported post

My 88 1500 been getting about 35 mpg. I think it might get a little better when my riding smooths out. I'm new to the whole big bike thing!:?

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
imported post

Usual is 40mpg, tire pressure in Avon Venoms is 50psi, speed hurts by a couple of mpg, so does choke usage and not maintaining a steady pace. I have a large shield and a large load ( me-not her ).So you have room for improvement, recently we had a big trip on the highway at 75+ at times and still averaged 35mpg.
Are you using 87 octane? higher is not better by design.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Doesn't hurt to get your carbs balanced and a can or two of Seafoam through the carbs.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
imported post

My 1997 gives me 30-35 mpg depending on my attitude & mood that day. You seem to be getting normal mileage for your riding style....-Rich

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
imported post

I only get 35 mpg with both my 93 Aspencade and my 81 Standard. I do like the throttle though particulary on the 81- that begs to go!

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

my old 80 interstate going through town to work 30miles commute round trip average speeds from 25 to 45mph i get 31mpg

ive been taking the interstate to work still same commute miles average speed 75mph and im pullin 34-35mpg

i aint complaing if i keep it around 50ish mph on the joy ride i get 38-39mpg but thats only on the joy ride lol

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
imported post

I just completed about a 1700 mile round trip to Mi. and back. I kept track of my mileage and I averaged 37-38mpg. I blame that on the rotten 10% Ethanol gas. For the most part, speed was 70 and under, mostly highway and backroads. I did see a couple of tanks of 40-41, but not too many. The bike-'93 gl 1500, tires are pumped to 48lbs front and rear, oil is 20-50. Make sure your plugs are gapped correctly, carbs are sync ed, and the valves are properly adjusted.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
imported post

my bike on average gets around 40 with just me, riding hard and 75 on the interstate. i weigh 160 lbs. i have gotten as bad as 35 into a nasty headwind, and have seen as high as 49 mpg through the smokey mountains. when the wife is with me i get upper 30`s easy. 41 psi in front, 44 in rear. running on 87 octane gas. i think the k&n air filter made a big difference when i installed it. 93 gl 1500 interstate. i would think your mileage should be a little better...

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
imported post

Does seem low to me. You can also check to make sure your brakes are not dragging on the rotors. I was getting 25-28 mpg until I found the problem. Mine is a bit of a pig at around 32-33 mpg. I do tend to rev her over 3k quite a bit though.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
imported post

I usually see around 42 mpg when just out riding. If I push it to cover miles down the interstate I will drop to 35-37. Had one tank through the mountains in Colorado that I hit 48. Never seen it again though. Will be interesting to see what I get now that I have cleaned the carbs, filters, plugs. Put 160 miles on tonight and will check it tomorrow after I fill up.

95 1500 SE - Tulsa tall windsheid and me at about 260 lbs.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
imported post

I usually see mid to high 40's mpg hwy driving on my '91 GL1500SE, but recently got several successive tanks with over 50 mpg (imperial, not US), albeit with a tailwind. I've got a tall (Tulsa style) Slipstreamer windshield. City and/or more agressive driving drops that down considerably of course.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.