Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Have a new '88 Wing that I'm falling love with except that measured mpg is 31. That seems low to me and not at all cost effective. Bought the bike from a shop that had it on consignement. Said he cleaned the carbs and the air filter was okay. From what I read getting to the carbs is major work. It is cold here and run 5000 feet elevation to 1000 feet. Any ideas?

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

That is the typical mpg for these. Keep it under 3000 RPM and you'll get 35, maybe more. It has to do with the ethanol gas we are forced to burn to make more profit for the oil companies.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,167 Posts
imported post

agreed...

for me, 33 mpg all year long average.

·
Ignoramus Primus
303 Posts
imported post

Howdy RimRider and Welcome to the Forum!

I average 36-37 with mostly easy highway/freeway commuting. If you are more around town and have a heavy throttle hand, 31 might be all there is under those conditions. Remember the 1500 is a heavy bike and not designed for top mileage.

Just beacause a shop said that they "cleaned the carbs" really doesn't mean much. Try some Techron or Seafoam in the fuel and see if that helps to "clean the carbs" a bit more. There are also many vacuum lines in the carb system and a cracked, loose or pinched one could affect mileage.

Don't give up too easily, the GoldWing is not a Vespa and as you are finding out, a VERY enjoyable ride!

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
imported post

I manage 45 MPG imperial or 38 MPG US or 6.2 litres per 100Km, 2 up traveling around a comfortable 3000rpm burning 95 octane.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Cold temperatures and running up and down hills (1000 to 5000)... 31 mpg maybe a little on the low side, but not far from typical.. It will probably improve somewith warmer weather.. I get about 34-36 warm weather and flat (in California)

·
751 Posts
imported post

NeedleNick wrote:
Howdy RimRider and Welcome to the Forum!

I average 36-37 with mostly easy highway/freeway commuting. If you are more around town and have a heavy throttle hand, 31 might be all there is under those conditions. Remember the 1500 is a heavy bike and not designed for top mileage.

Just beacause a shop said that they "cleaned the carbs" really doesn't mean much. Try some Techron or Seafoam in the fuel and see if that helps to "clean the carbs" a bit more. There are also many vacuum lines in the carb system and a cracked, loose or pinched one could affect mileage.

Don't give up too easily, the GoldWing is not a Vespa and as you are finding out, a VERY enjoyable ride!
+2 What Nick said Thats what was wrong with mine So Im afaid your going to have to get to the carbs & Look & Inspect all of the fuel lines & Vacume hoses & the tubes that attach the carbs to the intake system !

·
751 Posts
imported post

johnthebavarian wrote:
I manage 45 MPG imperial or 38 MPG US or 6.2 litres per 100Km, 2 up traveling around a comfortable 3000rpm burning 95 octane.
38 is the best I get all the way down to 25.5 2 up pulling my Little guy rasqual www.golittleguy.com click on the Rascal Thats what Sethan & My self have

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

RimRider wrote:
Have a new '88 Wing that I'm falling love with except that measured mpg is 31. That seems low to me and not at all cost effective. Bought the bike from a shop that had it on consignement. Said he cleaned the carbs and the air filter was okay. From what I read getting to the carbs is major work. It is cold here and run 5000 feet elevation to 1000 feet. Any ideas?
> Sounds normal, and is probably low due to being heavy handed.

I got similar milage when first riding a wing, due to treating it like a sport bike and accerating too fast. Learning to accelerate slower increased my typical milage to 35-40mpg.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,258 Posts
imported post

Around town with stop/go it will drop and you seem low to average. My overall runs around 36/37 winter (more choke and richer due to colder, denser air) and 37/40 in temps over 60*. Admittedly I run a fair amount of rural highway around 60mph. I have averaged low 40's on some touring trip legs though.
As for buying a wing, they get good mileage for what they are - A very large, heavy, comfortable, dependable, touring machine with a lot of bells and whistles. Keep in mind it has a bigger motor than many cars. They are not top of the line aerodynamically.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

johnthebavarian wrote:
Me too :action::action::action:

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

Depending on how you are riding, it makes a big difference.

Normally when I am riding comfortably on a Saturday ride out in the back roads taking it easy, I can get about 40-41 mpg.

But I also ride daily to work. My commuting mileage is usually about 30-33 mpg, sometimes less.

Out in the interstate, I also get about 33 mpg.

Also, the fuel system is temperature sensitive and it gets a little less mileage in the winter than it does in the summer.

I find that most of the time I get about the same gas mileage as my Honda Accord.

You'regoing to have a really good time ridingthis bike, it will bring you alotof years of enjoyment. But it's not like riding asmall bike. You're not going to save money riding it.In many ways it costs more to maintain. So money saved on gas is offset by money spent on tires and so on.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
imported post

My mpg during the summer months is closer to 40...but when its cold outside, mpg goes to sh$! in a hurry. One time, with a tailwind from the south, headed north....I swear i got close to 50! Easy on the throttle and ride her nice...mpg will improve.

·
Premium Member
1,791 Posts
imported post

My experiences are the same as lordbradley71,s ... I routinely get around 40-42 in the summertime riding at 45-60 MPH... If I kick it up to 65-70, I'll drop down to 38 or 39 range... My bike has always delivered that type of mileage and I think that's pretty close to normal for a 1500... 33-35 sounds pretty low to me... :thumbsdown:

Les

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
imported post

My 95 gets a steady 35 MPG of mostly interstate 70-75MPH. It can go to 41 on backroads without a heavy right hand.

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
imported post

dadztoy wrote:
My experiences are the same as lordbradley71,s ... I routinely get around 40-42 in the summertime riding at 45-60 MPH... If I kick it up to 65-70, I'll drop down to 38 or 39 range... My bike has always delivered that type of mileage and I think that's pretty close to normal for a 1500... 33-35 sounds pretty low to me... :thumbsdown:

Les
I was really surprised by those low mileage numbers in the first posts? My mileage in 45,000+ miles has been similar to 'dadztoy's although I expect my speed may be up 5 mph or so on what he stated?

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

ALEX BERECZKY wrote:
RimRider wrote:
> Sounds normal, and is probably low due to being heavy handed.

I got similar milage when first riding a wing, due to treating it like a sport bike and accerating too fast. Learning to accelerate slower increased my typical milage to 35-40mpg.
Now why in the heck would you want to do that.

Wilf

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
imported post

busdriver wrote:
I just fill my tank and measure my usage in SPG (Smiles Per Gallon)

Now thats a new and improved way to look at it! I am totally stealing this phrase...

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,167 Posts
imported post

Rented a Chrysler 300 last night.

Great car, having a ball playing with all of the "Gee Whiz" features of the New Milliena"

One is the "Instant MPG" slide ruler, and the average overall"

love it, that big car, is giving me 25.7 MPG in the city IF I WATCH IT CLOSE and use the Cruise Control at every opportunity. That cruise can get 10-12 mpg better than my foot can.

But, OH BOY! Watch that dude when I drive it like I used to with my first 383, 330 HP, 4 barrel '65 Plymouth and Balls to the Walls throttle control.

EEEEEEKKK! 3.6 miles per gallon?? you gotta be kidding??

Nope, that dude has 365 HP under the throttle, but a heck of a good fuel management system.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.