Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,:)
just picked up my first goldwing trike today, never rode one before!!! so it was a bit of an eye opener, 200 miles in total but loved every minute:).
its a 1500gl 1989 with 101000 mile on the clock!! but well serviced and looked after. my question is the mute switch for the radio/cassette is stuck in the on position!!!! and i cant get it to release? there is no sound at all and i cant even change radio stations. are there any thoughts or fixes out there?? all answers or replys would be great.
all the best ark

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Congradts on the wing and welcome to the forum bigbadbilly

All the switches need cleaning yearly with electrical contact cleaner spray. Spray in beside switch and work the switch until it frees up. Sometimes you can start with WD40 if you have that over that side of the pond but it is a temporary fix as it collects dirt rather than flushing it out but does work as a start.
Keep spraying and working liberally. (protect the painted fairing parts and windscreen from drips and overspray).
Also there are switches under the Tupperware too that need cleaning this way as well as the safety switches for the clutch and brake levers.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
My former GL1500 sat for years and to get the switches working I sprayed about a pint of contact cleaner in the cracks around the switches.

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Mine was the same when I brought it last year. It's not difficult to take the switch housing apart to spray cleaner directly onto the switch sliders. When clean, I sprayed a silicon spray on them and they have been fine ever since.
Once you seperate the main switch housing block (just 2 phillips screws underneath) you will see the screw in the top half that holds the radio block in place. Once that is out you can seperate the radio block and be able to see the inside easily to clean.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mute switch

hi all,
just giving you all an update on my mute switch problem!!
iv'e done all that you suggest, sprayed lots of contact cleaner inside the housing but to no avail:(, although i did notice that the switch is always out and when i push it in it just springs out, it's as if its not connecting with anything!! it feels like the switch itself is broken inside the housing.
i have seen a second hand switch housing on fleebay, my question is this the one on ebay only has the mute switch and program switch, the one i have on my bike has mute, program search, and channel search switches, although i can change channels on the main radio console, would swapping them over be ok, your suggestions and input would be great.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
I had the same problem with my 99, I kept spraying it and working it for months. Suddenly it started working correctly and that was 2 years ago

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
What you are describing can happen (probably will or has already) to any of those push button switches. My mute switch and others were in the same condition when I bought mine last December. There are many posts about this. I honestly sprayed with circuit cleaner and pressurized air and repeated while working the switch hundreds of times (not exaggerating) to what seemed to be no avail until at first it worked once and went immediately back to not working, then it worked twice and eventually came back. Sure the switch could be broke but I worked that switch a long time, especially after seeing the cost of the replacement switches and in every instance I found that eventually I got it to work. There is a a circuit cleaner in the US from Radio Shack that is safe on plastics. It is designed for the older manual radio tuners. The exact product number has been posted in the not so distant past.

If you really need a new switch, I would wait for the exact product you need. Also you said you hear nothing? Even in mute you should have maybe 1/3 volume. If the switch is out, you should have full.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What you are describing can happen (probably will or has already) to any of those push button switches. My mute switch and others were in the same condition when I bought mine last December. There are many posts about this. I honestly sprayed with circuit cleaner and pressurized air and repeated while working the switch hundreds of times (not exaggerating) to what seemed to be no avail until at first it worked once and went immediately back to not working, then it worked twice and eventually came back. Sure the switch could be broke but I worked that switch a long time, especially after seeing the cost of the replacement switches and in every instance I found that eventually I got it to work. There is a a circuit cleaner in the US from Radio Shack that is safe on plastics. It is designed for the older manual radio tuners. The exact product number has been posted in the not so distant past.

If you really need a new switch, I would wait for the exact product you need. Also you said you hear nothing? Even in mute you should have maybe 1/3 volume. If the switch is out, you should have full.
Hi oldwing99,
the switch moves in and out freely but won't stay depressed just pops out as soon as i let go!!, but the mute still shows on the LCD screen, i am getting sound but only the kind of volume you would get if muted, i am totally puzzled now, so im desperate for suggestions???.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
I had it where the switch stuck in as it would be if muted and it was muted. Your saying the switch is out and it indicates muted and is muted. That is different than what I had. I can't recreate anything on mine that brings up the mute indicator on the center display when that switch is out, doesn't do it when the CB transmits but the radio does mute but I also can't get it to mute when I turn the mute sensitivity control up on the intercom. Maybe someone else can tell you if that is the way the switch operates on the 89's, mine is a 99. The circuit cleaner is a good idea and should be used at least once a season on working switches, but your switch is operating differently than mine did.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.