Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, picked up a 98 GL1500 SE recently and after a little tire trouble early on its been great. I do have one issue with it. Firstly, it has 110,000 miles. It has plugs from the prior owner a year old and less than 1,000 miles. It seems to run just slightly rough at idle and smells a bit rich. Here's my issue. On take off from a stop I really have to lay into the throttle more and more as it takes off because it seems to bog down greatly. However once I get moving everything after that is fine. Zero hesitation and runs good. It does feel just a little under powered though and I'm thinking it may need the carbs to be sync'ed? Any feedback would be very much appreciated, Thanks.

Tommy

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Welcome to the forum TommyC

Has it had a history of sitting unused for any extended periods of more the 2-6 weeks?
You might need to put a can of Seafoam in the tank, fill the tank, ride for 20 miles and then idle it for 10-15 minutes to get it in the idle circuits(keep an eye on the temp and be sure the fans kick on @ 3/4 gauge) Then park it for 1-2 days so the Seafoam can clean the idle jets.
If that doesn't clean up the idle you may have a vacuum leak or leaking petcock(forward of the gas cap.
Or as you said a carb sync may be in order but do the others above first.

Is the air cleaner clean? If you haven't checked that, you need to do so.

New gas filter, Napa #3003 @ $5 that is what I use as do many others here as they are clear and you can see the condition. Change it yearly.

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
I agree with Stu... If it' running rough at idle most likely you have a partially clogged idle jet(s) , vacuum leak, or the carbs need a sync or a combination of any of the three...

Start with the Sea Foam and move on form there using the standard automotive methods of determining vacuum leaks... Carb sync usually will not contribute to a rough idle but poor acceleration...

Good luck and congrats on the new ride ;)

Les

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Also, Have you checked for dragging brakes?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input

Thank you guys. Over the past year or more it has sat. The seller was a cancer survivor but was out of commission for quite a while. The brakes seem ok as I can roll it with ease. No burning brake smell etc. I will pick up the seafoam and a can of carb cleaner to check for leaks while I'm out today and give that a try. I'll report back in a few days to update.

Thanks again!
Tommy

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Some more things to consider:
-Loose Clamps to the Rubber Isolators, between the carbs and intake manifold.
-Vacuum leak to the timing advance... The infamous "L" shaped vacuum line from the left carb barrel to the engine control unit on right side... It commonly developes a leak at the "L"

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,626 Posts
Be very careful as to what type of carb cleaner you get . Most of them will dissolve the rubber parts in the carbs.

·
Wild Rhino - Canadian
591 Posts
Do you have the Idle set at 800rpm?
the bike will idle lower, but won't run good

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you have the Idle set at 800rpm?
the bike will idle lower, but won't run good
Yes, I do have it a 800. As far as carb cleaner goes I was actually going to use starting fluid. It evaporates quickly and shouldn't eat at the rubber parts.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Idle set is too low, set to 880-950 RPM.

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Tommy,

pick up a can of Sea Foam instead... add to gas tank per instructions on the can and maybe a bit heavier than that... Run the bike for a bit, maybe take it for a short ride and then park it and let the Seafoam sit in the carbs and float bowls - then try it again... Your regular spray can carb cleaner won't get into the low speed idle jets in the float bowls like Seafoam will... Let us know how it runs after that... If it isn't any better, you may have to repeat the process few times...

Les

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
I have a similar problem which happens occasionally. An effort to accelerate and cuts out when coming to a stop. Starts, but under protest. Most of the time its fine, wonder if its choke sticking?

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Be careful using starting fluid. It does evaporate quickly but it is mostly either & over use will wash the cylinder walls of lube (oil) & increase friction inside.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'll recheck the idle tomorrow Stu, thanks. I don't remember where it's at now. I have the seafoam in there now. Drove it 100 miles and it does feel a little better. It's been parked since last night and ill get back with it tomorrow and see where the idle is at again. I'm aware of the issue with the starting fluid Ron, thanks. I'm only going to use it externally to check for vacuum leaks. I'll let y'all know how it's going - thanks for all the input!! Very much appreciated!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey all, by the way can anyone direct me to the video I've seen on syncing?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Busdriver.
Need some more help. Trying to sync the carbs (which are out btw) but for the life of me I can't see the screw on the left side! I found the right side ok but can not see the left at all

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.