Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hi everyone. Newby here.

I have a 1988 GL1500 with 50K plus. The bike ran great this year until I stopped ata gas station and filled up witha full tank of water. YES water. There premium tank had 4.3 inches of water. There were 3 other bikes there at the time and all had to be drained.

I purchased the bike 2 years ago. The bike had been sitting for 3 years. I do not totally blame the gas station for the carbs. It was along time coming.

So there are a couple of questions that I have:

1) I have been reading on the forum that it might be better to update the carbs to 1993 carbs? Any thoughts.

2) Does anyone have any prference on what name brand carb kit to get. Should I also replace the slide diaphram also?

Thank you in advance to any thoughts and help.

Doug

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,331 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum, Doug.

Running water through thefuel systemwon't cause damage to the carbs. If the carbs do need to be re-built, I'd suggest just going OEM parts. You know they fit and are made of quality material.

G

·
imported post

Yes go OEM with those carb parts.
It isnt fun to have to pull them down and not be able to figure out what is wrong.
Usually you cant go wrong with the OEM parts.
WELCOME FROM MISSISSIPPI

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
imported post

I went to my local honda shop to get a carb rebuild kit for my 97 GL 1500. I was told they do not make a "kit". You have to get all the parts piece by piece. So I went and got a new set of carbs off of ebay and I will tear down my old set when I get a chance and replace all the parts inside later.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

if the mpg is good, just run some seafoam through the tank and she will be fine, you drained the float bowls right? :)

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
imported post

Hi Doug and welcome. I'm sorry but I can't answer your question of whether to update your carbs or not. If you don't have an endless supply of money I would go to Sirius Consolidated web site and order a couple of their premium car kits. $78 will get you what you need for both carbs. If you go with a list like that to your Honda dealer your probably looking a a few hundred at least. The slide diaphrams are pretty expensive (I think $90 a piece). Once you get the carbs torn down hold the diaphrams up to the sun and if you can't see the light that is a good thing. Assuming you don't have an endless supply of money I would keep what I got. One personal tip would be to get some carb dip. I got some from from NAPA I think. It was $30 a gallon and WORTH it. The carbs are pretty straight forward and if you get stuck there are a lot of guru's on this sight to help you get unstuck. If you have a digital camera take a lot of pictures. Also don't forget the carbs will need balanced so you will need a setup for that. Good Luck!

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

go to google search & look for "Randakks". He sells high quality carb kits & I think they are cheaper than mother Honda. Never buy after market needles if you need them because your Wing will run like crap!

I think there is also a forum member that does top quality carb overhauls as well, Just not sure of his name.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
imported post

Hi Doug and welcome

I'm sorry that you'e got to work on your carbs. As far a kit for the rebuild goes, I am not sure about a 1500 kit, since having a GL1100 I get my kits from Randakks or Conserious (out of canada)They do a lot of selling on ebay so if there is a kit available, you might find one there. I would take a look at ebay and see if anyone's got a whole kit for any GW and contact them to see if they might also have a kit for yours.

You don't have to bid on anything but at least find the supplier if there is one.

Just a suggestion.

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
imported post

I forgot hatchman has a big point, don't use the aftermarket needles or seats. I don't think Randakk has a setup for the 1500 yet.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,671 Posts
imported post

Randakk told me in an email a while back that he does not sell anything for a 1500

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
imported post

Cheap Cycle Parts seems to be the cheapest online supplier of OEM parts. I have bought a few times from them. Shipping not blazingly fast, but I get the right parts.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

Thank You to everyone that put there 2 cents in. I am working on taking the carbs out on a beautiful saturday afternoon. Just to drain the float area and look inside. I think it just got some crap sucked up in. It has NO mid range. Does idle. Top end is there and nothing else. It feels to me like clog jets. So Im pulling it apart and hope for the best.

If this does work I am buying new carbs.

Thanks again.

Doug

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
imported post

all of the O-rings can be purchased at a parts house at a fraction of the cost.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
imported post

I did find one place with carb kits. I've used them for my GL1100. I had success with their products. I can't speak for anyone else.
It won't hurt to at least check out their website.

Sirius Consolidated Inc

http://www.siriusconinc.com/carb/parts.asp

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
imported post

UPDATE
I tor my carb totally out. Cleaned it pretty good without doing a total disassembly. It helped but did not totally cure the carb. I am going to wait to winter so I have more time. + I am going to try to find a newer carb off of a 92 and newer. Thanks to every ones input.
Doug

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,671 Posts
imported post

If you go with a later model carb, stay with the same replacement parts that the newer carbs are supplied with.

Otherwise, it will not jet out right.

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
imported post

the newer carbs will have less vaccum lines so you'll have to figure out what to do with the left overs.

mark:waving:

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Do not use any type of carb dip cleaner unless you take all the rubber and plastic parts off the carbs during a full tear down. It will eat away the plastics and rubber o-rings and parts. Better to boil the carbs with distilled water.

You can also let the parts soak in seafoam over night without any damage at all.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
imported post

SUPRIZE SUPRIZE. LOL. I took the bike out for a long outing. 400 to 500 miles. this past weekend. It ran great, but now I have gas fuems. The bike is getting the best milage it has ever gotten. 38mpg when I checked it. I know thats pretty good from reading all the other posts.
So does anyone have any ideas about the gas fuems? mainly when Im driving.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.