Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Update: I located a spare from Ken Hemming. Thx All! Done

My stock alternator took a dump yesterday. I have a spare, but am in a pinch due to upcoming trip in two weeks... for which I want to carry a spare with me.

Am wondering if I can make arrangements with someone to provide me a Loaner stock alternator, in the event that I can't get mine repaired in time? I would return it in about a month, and pay postage both ways. I would need it here, no later than 8/28.

Thanks in advance

Alex
Anaheim CA

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
imported post

One of my friends had a couple of them he got from parted bikes. I'll call him tonight and see if he still has them.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

I have one but the shipping costs to America would be a killer because of the weight.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

Ken is a good guy. His units are great. jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
imported post

jimsjinx wrote:
Ken is a good guy. His units are great. jimsjinx
Ken is a man of few words - annoyingly so.My Ken Heming rebuilt failed after 15 months. The working original which was touted as unreliable junk had performed without error for 10 years. Just reporting the facts.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

I had one of Kens alternators fail at around 40K myself. Broken windings. Suppose thats all you can hope for. I keep several of the older ones around here now. I have loaned one of them to a guy who needed to get to California from Iowa. He mailed it back as soon as he replaced the one he had. Have a loaner you could use Alex if you pay postage both ways Califronia to Iowa.
Tom Bishop
`98 S.E.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thx for the offer, but I've got a replacement on the way here from Ken

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

What about spare tyres, wheel bearings, final drive or engine etc? :shock:
Just ride it and deal with any problems if or when they come.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
imported post

Ken Bergen wrote:
What about spare tyres, wheel bearings, final drive or engine etc? :shock:
Just ride it and deal with any problems if or when they come.
My thoughts exactly Ken. There are things that could fail that would stop you deader'n a failed alternator. You can't carry everything.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
imported post

OK,,,, Speaking of alternaters.... I was at a gathering of bikers about a wk.ago & while sitting around trading lies,one of my brothers told me I should replace the alternator brush springs on my stock alternator,as they have a tendency to corrode causing the thing to fail with little warning! Now,, should this be on top of my "to do" list this winter or can I wait awhile. I have a 90 with 23 thousand on it:baffled:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.