Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

i bought a 1991 gl1500se.the light is really brite in neutral but stays on when in all other gears but is dull any suggestions on what this issue could be

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the Forum
Sorry I don't have the answer.
Did you try the search on the lower right of the forum page?

·
Administrator
26,577 Posts
imported post

The inline diode (A) may be shorted which could be the cause of the light never fully going out. The brightness could only be the bulb.

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
imported post

Does the OD light illuminate in fifth gear. Could be a problem with the gear selector switch located on right side front cover by oil filter.

JD

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

fast freddy wrote:
i bought a 1991 gl1500se.the light is really brite in neutral but stays on when in all other gears but is dull any suggestions on what this issue could be
You couldhave another hot wire shorted to the wire feeding the light or possibly a faulty switch. Start by shifting into gear (bike off) so that light is only dimly lit. Next start pulling fuses till light goes out. Post results.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

The diode is a red Herring, it only serves to isolate the neutral switch from the clutch switch and if bad causes the light to come on when the clutch is pulled while in gear.

The circuit is simple, 12V to the light and grounded by the neutral switch. So either the switch is bad or a previous butcher has tied in something between the bulb and the switch.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

You might try changing the oil and running a strong mixture of MMO or Sea foam for a couple hundre miles and see if that helps. The switch is located under the front cover and exposed to the engine lube oil. If the oil was left too long or the engine got too hot in the past there could be a carbon coating on the switch contacts. If that doesn't do it I'd check the leads on the switch connector with an ohmmeter to see if the switch is functioning properly. There should be a ground on the neutral wire when the transmission is in neutral and open when the transmission is in any other position.

·
Administrator
26,577 Posts
imported post

fast freddy wrote:
thanks but where is inline diode A thanks
Never mind on that, I was looking at the interstate diagram. :gunhead:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

fast freddy wrote:
where is red herring diode located so i can check it to see if it is faulty thanks
On the opposite sidefrom the orange herring diodethat powers the front turn signals.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.