Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm having a problem with the neutral indicator which prevents me from using reverse. They have to open the engine case to get to it and remove it. My question is in that area of the engine, is there anything else that I should consider having done or checked while its torn open? I will be changing the oil/filter.

They do have to drain out all the oil to access it and the bike has about 56k miles. I have no other problems other than finding neutral is always a pain (even without the indicator). Any trans parts that could cause neutral hard to get into?

From another mechanic, the timing beltis not any where on the way to the neutral sensor.

BTW- I bring the bike in later today so any info after this afternoon will have to go to future knowlege.

Thank You.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
imported post

If the sensor is under the lower front engine cover, you might want to replace the water pump.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I see you from the U.K. but does anyone know if water pumps are still available "New" rather than rebuilt or used?

Then there is the "I have no problems with my coolant system now" so do the 1500's have a reputation of water pumps going bad after so many miles or years?

Also the mechanic/dealer didn't mention having to refill the coolant so he may not have to remove the pump. I had the dealer write out a quote with parts for the job. Thats how I know about the oil drainage.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
imported post

my '88 was about 17-18 yrs old when i bought it about 5-6yrs ago and it had 67k on it. 2 days after i got it home the water pump started leaking and that was GREAT. I didn't have to worry about it going out on a long trip. I think it was mainly the age of the Wing because lots of other parts have failed due to the age of the bike. 103k on her now and new this spring: thermostat and seal ,overflow tank grommet, water hoses and orings. Most hoses looked and felt good but i replaced them all. Vacuum hoses will probably need replacing when the carbs need to be rebuilt.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

Whoa flw ., i think your in the clutches of a greedy dealer ! My 88 1500 manual pictures the gearshift sensor as a external sensor located at the rear of the right head.
Also , the electrical checks for the sensor can be done very easily to determine its condition.
I seriously suggest you find another shop or do the tests yourself . There are many other factors that could cause your particular problem .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.