Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Greetings, so new to the forum as I just got back on a GL 1500 after a 10+ year break from a '83 1100. My Challange:waving: I replaced the battery in the 95 GL1500 and while the bike starts and runs fine I've found it courious the neutral light, head lamps, and for that matter no lights ocme on until after it is running and the engine reved above 1000 rpm.... any ideas what may cause this?

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

·
Premium Member
3,771 Posts
imported post

Did you fully charge the new battery? Even though new it needs to be charged.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Yes, Fully charged the new battery. That is what makes it's behaviour so strange.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Your alternator may not be operating properly until you rev the engine. Check the output with a meter and come back to us with the results.

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
imported post

I have a new battery in my 93SE and at idle the lights go out almost. I hit the throttle and they come right up. The connections needed a light cleaning and it stopped most of it. They still dim a bit but not as much.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

All kinda interesting -- Have you checked the start switch to see if it's returning well? Sometimes the RPM thing can just be a vibraion source to shake the connections up there... (Unrelated to the batery change, but...)

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
imported post

satan wrote:
All kinda interesting -- Have you checked the start switch to see if it's returning well? Sometimes the RPM thing can just be a vibraion source to shake the connections up there... (Unrelated to the batery change, but...)
I've had mine apart and cleaned a few times for the cruise switches.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

Very curious ? My 88 1500 manual says if no lights after key on , check all involved circuits for loose connections etc. I would also check all harness to chassis ground points and do a wiggle test at the wiring harnesses etc.
Do you get lights with key on and not running ?

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

machinehead wrote:
Very curious ?
Indeed.

I don't have a 1500 wiring schematic but the symptoms would indicate that the battery is powering the start and ignition circuits and the alternator is powering everything else with no connection between the two.

Please check the battery voltage with the bike off, idling and at about 2,000 RPM and report the findings.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.