Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

i put a new clutch in 93 1500 goldwing. it starts out fine but when it warms up it drags bad, cant go to neutral when running. i've already ruled out the clutch and master cylinder by using known good ones. i going berzerk. not sur of what i'm doing wrong. i have all the dots lined up on inner clutch pack. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

·
Honda Guru
2,054 Posts
imported post

Are you using Honda OEM plates or aftermarket (Barnett?) It makes a world of difference. The Barnett clutches are known to drag at idle and are hard to get out of gear and into neutral.

Did you pre-lube your fiber plates prior to assembly?

It could also be due to the brass pivot joint at your lever being worn out. I've also seen the 'push rod' that pushes the mastercylinder be worn and causing a problem.

Are you using a 10w/40 weight oil?

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

hey ray thanks for responding. trying to get a lil pow wow going here to see if i can resolve this issue. so, i am using honda oem fibers and steels. i am using 10 w 40 oil and i also pre lubed the fibers before installing. i used a known good master cylinder with lever and all.i also tried two different push rods with the same result.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Did you pull the slave cylinder and clean that out? They will get gummed up inside and not function properly.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

All the air out? Try pulling the lever and tying it to the handle over night.
Also, did you bleed the air out at the banjo bolt at the Master Cylinder before the rest of the system?
Did you clean the little return port in the Master?

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Is there a metal plate on the 1500 clutch like the 1100 has and did it get put in properly? I have heard that they have to be in one spot only and proper direction on the 1100, not sure on the 1500 though. ?????

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
imported post

You stated on the 1st post that you installed a new clutch on the bike. What was the problem with the old clutch? Was it slipping or was it dragging(creeping)?

I'm with Ken B, 'cuz I had the same problem as GLGREZMONKI, and if it wasn't for his advice I would have gone crazy or sold the bike, perhaps in pieces; but it was as easy as removing debri from the scavange pump.(after removing the engine)

Keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

ok so i'm sorry for the amount of time it took to reply but i got frustrated with this thing and went on vacation. so let me start from the beginning with all the info; bike has 77,000 miles on it.

1) about a year ago i had the transmission rebuilt at a honda dealer due to some crunching sounds and problems shifting.

2)recently was having problems with 3 and 4th gear popping out of gear. so rather than fix it i opted to buy an engine i found with 25,000 miles on it but then found out it was not an se engine. so after the headache of converting this engine over to an se engine with all the necessary components from my old engine(ie reverse and all vacuum line changes) swap was completed succesfully and bike is riding and shifting fine.

3)all of a sudden i develop a leak at the rear engine cover, i mean pouring out. so back out with the engine. some how the new gasket that i put on it (oem honda part)blew it's way out of the bottom of the rear engine cover and out of the top directly above it. still not sure why that happened because i torqued all bolts evenly in two steps using criss cross pattern. so i bought a new oem gasket bolted the rear engine cover back on using the same method.

4) this is when i begin to experience clutch drag after assembling everything back together. it was working fine before. i have checked everything you can think of that would be associated with the clutch dragging, even installed new clutch all oem. am still having issues with the clutch dragging when it warms up. all plates are lined up by the book, dots line up on the clutch basket and spring plate.

ken bergen i read that thread you posted, is this problem possible for the 1500 also? like i said everything worked fine until i took the rear engine cover back off and installed the new gasket again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.