Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Admit I haven't used the CB much but one never knows.

Last week, checking, got no sound, no reception while CB was turned on. Light shows and channels change but no sound.

I understand most cycle repair shops won't touch the CB or any part of radio or sound system unless someone on staff just happens to be a radio wizard.

Any suggestions what I with limited knowledge might check on?.

My guess most of us have access to cell phones and may not use CB much.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Polkwing

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi polk by any chance have you the squlsh turned up all the way or set to headset ect

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

Ok, on the CB Display, do you have TX and RX indicators, when you push the talk button the TX light goes on?, is it on all the time?, have you checked if others can hear you?, it could be as simple as the antena is not connected. have you checked all connections?, i guess you're talking about your 1500, since your 1100 its interstate.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

I have a full Clarion 2 system with cb on my Interstate. So knowing which bike it is is important.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

GW is '89 1500. Disposed of the 1100 long time ago but not removed from info about me.

Thanks for suggestions. Carefully checked all controls that would affect reception. All settings as they should be; CB channel window lights up, channels change when keyed but no sound?

Polkwing

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
imported post

You say "no sound". Does that apply to the external speakers as well as the headsets? If you have sound through the external speakers, I would be looking at the headset and associated cords.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
imported post

I dont know if the CB setup is the same as the 1200 but on mine, I cant hear the CB over the external speakers, only through the headset.

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
imported post

Ben, On the GL1500's, you can set the CB to play through the external speakers. I have a GL1500, that's why I asked the question.

·
Premium Member
3,634 Posts
imported post

The Handyman wrote:
I dont know if the CB setup is the same as the 1200 but on mine, I cant hear the CB over the external speakers, only through the headset.
On my 1200 LTD you could hear the CB over the external speakers, just as on the 1500.

My suggestion would take it to a CB shop. They are usually pretty helpful. If you have a TX (transmit) and RX (recieve) display but still no sound, then it is something in the wiring or in the CB board itself. The CB shop should have equipment to test it.

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
imported post

99.9% of the time when such problems occur, it's related to the headsets and/or associated cords. We have troubleshooted and resolved many such problems by working through the process of elimination. It's easy to do and a lot less than paying a CB shop to point out something that is relatively simple. If it were mine, I would first eliminate all the components "external to the CB unit itself" before enlisting the help of a CB shop.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

Thanks for all the suggestions. CB shop not close in my area, would have to run it up to Portland, Or to a shop.

Question: How often do you who have CB use it? Numerous cyclt-to-cycle communications set ups are available. I don't ride with a group, only with the wife on her ACE 750.

Only situation I can think of where CB would be used would be either an accident or break down in a remote area?

Bottom line for me: I would feel much more secure knowing the CB was operative IF I ever needed it.

Polkwing

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
imported post

There are a few of us who ride together frequently (about every week) and we use our CB's all the time. If you are riding alone and break down in a remote area, the CB probably will not be much help with it's short range of transmission.

They can be useful for receiving traffic information from truckers when traveling. Mainly concerning accidents, detours, construction etc.

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

when i got my wing it had no cb so my friends who were all wingers said it would be good to talk to me when out on a ride so i got one on ebay cb and controls cost about500 euro then they all sold there wing :?now i talk to my dog Nubz on the back i get more scence out of him woof woof:cheeky1:

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.