Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out this morning to start our 1989 1500 to go for the first ride of the year.
The bike started right up but had a bad miss that wouldn't go away.
I had the bike running earlier this week with no problems.
I pulled all of the spark plugs, they looked good but I replaced the anyway.
That didn't make any difference.
Next I checked the compression and found all three cylinders on the right side with no compression, the left side had between 185 and 200 psi.
I check to see if it had jumped timing, but that was right on and the belts looked good as I had replaced them a couple years ago.
I also shot a little oil in the right cylinders before checking them again, it made no difference.
I can't believe that three cylinders have bad valves in them.
I am open to suggestions. Hoping I don't have to pull the head but if that is the problem that is what I will do.
THANKS

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
The chances of this are pretty slim but maybe you have 3 stuck valves one in each cylinder. Take the valve cover off and make sure all the valves are opening and closing when you crank the engine over.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks I just found that post.
Sounds exactly what is going on with it. Turning it over backwards right now, then to change the oil in the morning.
Thanks again
Will report back tomorrow with results.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I turned the engine over backward at the crank a little at a time over a couple hour period. Then I pulled the drain plug and let it drain over night.
This morning I install 10-40 Honda oil and rechecked compression, still the same on Compression on the right side. So thinking it must be bad valves I pulled the head.
What I found was that everything looked good except that the exhaust were being held open by the adjusters, when I backed off the adjuster plugs the valves closed
No mater what I do it seems that the adjusters aren't leaking back.
Heading to the Honda dealer with the head Monday morning
Will report back when I know more.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Apparently you missed my post on that thread. You 'collapse' the lifters by inserting a small probe in the 'eye' end and then compressing firmly. You should then bleed them back up in a pan of light oil by compressing them while submerged. They'll get stiffer again. They should collapse then a barely perceptible amount...I think the spec is around a couple thousandths. You don't need to remove the head to do any of this, just the valve cover.

·
Administrator
28,079 Posts
Apparently you missed my post on that thread. You 'collapse' the lifters by inserting a small probe in the 'eye' end and then compressing firmly. You should then bleed them back up in a pan of light oil by compressing them while submerged. They'll get stiffer again. They should collapse then a barely perceptible amount...I think the spec is around a couple thousandths. You don't need to remove the head to do any of this, just the valve cover.

:readit: It really pays off to pay attention.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your right I did miss your post on bleeding them.
I will try it tomorrow.
Can you tell me why this would happen in the first place?
We have never had a problem with the motor and change the oil every three thousand miles.
Everything looks real clean, no sludge or varnish.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Not for sure...and neither could a Honda field rep who I quizzed. Too heavy oil viscosity is suspect. It usually seems to happen in colder weather, too. It seems that only the earlier models do this, so I suspect the problem was covertly fixed by the factory over the years of production.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I got it back together to day. I bled all the lifters and pumped them back up and after I spun it over with the starter the compression came back.
Put the plugs in and it started right up.
THANKS for the help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.