Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,I picked up a 1988 GL1500 last week to use the drivetrain on a Morgan style 3 wheel car. I got the bike home without testing it being it was a reasonable deal and i trusted the guy. I ended up finding two cylinder slam full of water and it was hydro locked. slightly rusty water came out of those cylinders and and I figured they would be in really bad shape. Upon doing a complete compression test I found that all cylinders were around 170 and the two that had water in them were around 150...So knowing this should be enough compression to test run the engine It actually fired up pretty easy and honestly ran pretty nice with a good idle and revved out clean. I then checked the oil again and saw that it was a milkshake. I figured let me change the oil and see how bad its mixing water and oil...It is pretty bad but non of the cylinders have gotten water in them again so I am thinking its not a head gasket but more likely the water pump as the oil is once again getting milky. I did another compression test after running the engine for a short time and was surprised to see those two low cylinders up to almost 165psi so I figured they are going to be fine...Well the bike has sat for a week and I went to start it up to get the oil warmed before draining it again. The bike would not start only spit and sputtered and backfired a few times. I figured maybe some plugs were bad so I checked them all and all had good spark. I figured I would do another compression test and did not like what I found. I have two cylinders the front cylinder on the right side and the middle cylinder on the left side are DEAD as in ZERO compression. I watched to see if there was even a piston coming up and down and yes there is so no broken rods or anything. I then removed the valve covers and watched the cams rotate and valves operate and nothing seems stuck or anything. I did another compression test and had almost 60psi and then all of the sudden it vanished back to zero. What is going on here? The bike had fantastic compression and has only been run momentarily for testing and now two cylinders have nothing. I see there is no valve adjustment so i assume it can not be a tight valve staying open. I do have a bore scope if I can find it and I will try to look in the cylinder but something would have to be bad wrong to get a zero compression reading. Anyone heard of anything like this before? BTW the bike only has 62K on it but clearly was left outside for the last part of its life and I think that is how two cylinders got water in them in the first place.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So a stuck hydraulic lifter will hold a valve open? can the lifters be removed without removing the cam, I didnt look at it real close when I as out there?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What if I did something like this to get the bulk of the milky oil out of the engine cases? What if I filled the cases with diesel and slosh it around (not turning engine over) a few times and drain it. The I could add fresh oil with transmission fluid and turn the engine over to get the system cleaned out and maybe it wont take as long to get all that crap out and hopefully the lifters unstuck...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess the only two means of water getting into the oil would be head gasket or water pump...Bad head gaskets would surely result in uneven compression numbers and of course constant water in cylinders right? The engine did have water in two cylinders when I got it home after buying it but I believe that was from rain getting into the system somehow as I have not seen water in a cylinder sense. The two dead cylinders are not the same as the two that had originally had water in them either. I am going to drain all the coolant while I try to troubleshoot the valve/lifter issues and recover compression to the two dead cylinders and then after I am sure they are going to be recoverable I will address the water pump or head gaskets whichever it may be before adding more coolant.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well after cranking on this thing for a good 10 minutes off and on I finally got it to fire up. I lost compression on almost all the cylinders but it seems to be back now after flushing the oil and adding some ATF. The engine seems to be back running smoothly and idling fairly well and all cylinders are now back to 160ish. This is some of the most interesting stuff I have ever seen, who would have thought a little water in the oil would have caused such an issue? Anyhow, I think its the water pump as its actually dripping from the water pump area as well. I sure hope the cylinder head gaskets are fine but if not I will replace them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts