Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
28,963 Posts
On an oil change the 1500 holds about half quart of oil in rear cover that doesn't drain when you pull the drain plug, that may be the source of the continued milk in the oil. As to the lifters stuck, I've heard of this before, heard a fix was to turn the engine backward some with a wrench from the timing cover access and let it sit a while' then backwards some more.....

The hydraulic lifters probably don't like milky oil.....
True, I have seen it take 3 or 4 oil changes to get all the water out of the oil in automotive engines.
As far as turning the engine backward, that was the genius over on GWD that thinks the oil pump will pump enough oil to keep the lifters pumped when turning forward by hand. It's never a good idea to turn and engine with belt driven cams backwards.

·
Administrator
28,963 Posts
What if I did something like this to get the bulk of the milky oil out of the engine cases? What if I filled the cases with diesel and slosh it around (not turning engine over) a few times and drain it. The I could add fresh oil with transmission fluid and turn the engine over to get the system cleaned out and maybe it wont take as long to get all that crap out and hopefully the lifters unstuck...
Maybe. If you added maybe a quart of alcohol to the diesel it would help absorb the water.

Reactions: gmhall222

·
Administrator
28,963 Posts
The coolant should leak out of the weep hole in the water pump before it's able to get into the engine unless the hole is plugged. It's not the miles, it's the age, it is at least 34 years old & sitting is harder on seals than running.

·
Administrator
28,963 Posts
Is it my faulty memory or do I remember something about coolant getting into the intake manifold somehow?

·
Administrator
28,963 Posts
I've just had the airbox off my 1500 and see no way at all that rain could get in that way! The intake is mounted horizontally and covered by the plastic surround of the left pocket.
Rain will get in places you can't imagine how?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts