Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1998 GL1500SE
645 Posts
I've just had the airbox off my 1500 and see no way at all that rain could get in that way! The intake is mounted horizontally and covered by the plastic surround of the left pocket.

·
Administrator
29,132 Posts
I've just had the airbox off my 1500 and see no way at all that rain could get in that way! The intake is mounted horizontally and covered by the plastic surround of the left pocket.
Rain will get in places you can't imagine how?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I am aware of vac not being the best test but if anything it should expose a weak seal or blown head gasket...the seal in the pump is designed for pressure not Vac so if it holds with Vac it should be fine I would think...?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I researched before this and it seems to be somewhat common for GL1500's that stay outside in certain condition to get water in the intake system and a couple cylinders. I am pretty sure that is how water got in the cylinders originally. I mean the water that came out of the cylinders would have been green or at least some shade of green being the coolant is green but it was light rust colored water without any coolant in it. I know because it shot out of all the cylinders hit the walls and roof and me when I turned it over not knowing they had water in them. I left the vac gauge on the coolant system until a moment ago and it was still at 10" vac. That would sure cause me to believe the coolant system is sound and the water in the oil must have come from somewhere else. I guess I should have listened when someone mentioned it took 2-3 oil changes to get the oil clean again and sure enough this was the 3rd oil change. I think I am going to fill the coolant system back and and just see what happens. Worst case I ruin another $20 in oil. Just basic logic tells me that holding vac for almost 24 hours means the coolant system for sure does not have any kind of gross leak much less a small one. All the compression numbers being so even means I doubt there is a cylinder head gasket issue and also the fact that this bike runs awesome. I think with the testing I have done its time to just refill the coolant and run it a bit to see what happens. I have a clutch master cylinder rebuilt kit on order and once it gets here I will actually ride the bike around a bit. Dang thing is in really good shape for the age and although it does has fairly low miles on it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I rebuilt the front clutch Master cylinder this morning and after finally getting the system bleed out I took the bike out for a spin around the neighborhood. This thing scoots along pretty dang good. I have run it at least 30 minutes and the oil is clear as can be with no water getting in it. I am still having some lifters get stuck or something off and on but it seems to clear after a few moments. I may need to add something to the oil to help lubricate the lifters up a bit better. Anyhow, I am going to have to conclude that when the bike sat up for who knows how long outside, water entered the cylinders and somehow got into the crank case. The coolant system which includes the head gaskets seem to be perfectly fine. I will update as I put more time on the bike to see if the oil start to get milky again...Thanks for all the help so far.

·
Registered
1993 GL1500 Aspy 1980 GL1100 STD
1,091 Posts
If the oil appears not to be getting milky, I'd still only put maybe a couple hundred miles on it before changing oil again, to get the last of the contaminants out, and maybe a good dose of Seafoam to the oil for the last 50 miles, that will likely help the lifters.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts