Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Brookville Motorsports
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BACKGROUND: I loaded this goldwing on a trailer to haul home after purchase. The neutral light worked as it should. My mistake was to put the bike in reverse to hold it in place while I straped it down. I was parked on a hill. I left it in reverse by mistake and drove home 250 miles. when I got home I had a hard time getting it out of reverse. Now I have no neutral light except for once in a great while it will come on as it should. I can still start the bike and use reverse but I have to pull the clutch in and put the side stand up.

I think it isthe gearshift sensor. How much work is it to get to the sensor? Do you have to pull the motor?

BMS

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

Hopefully just a sticking reverse switch. Here is what I did over a year ago when my reverse switch stuck. Slide the rubber cover off of your reverse lever. Now you can see most of the switch area. I sprayed the area with WD-40, and worked the lever up and down several times. Keep spray off of your paint. Has worked perfectly ever since.
Tom Bishop
`98 S.E.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
imported post

+ 1 on the sticky switch. Had the same thing happen to me after buying my 1989 GL1500.

I just worked the reverse handle a few times and the neutral light worked again. I put a new switch on my "To-Do" list for the winter.

Dave.

·
Brookville Motorsports
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I have checked the reverse switch and it is working properly. It seems that the whole system is grounded through the shift sensor.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
imported post

Well, the thing is, the switch sometimes gets stuck in the "no-mans land" between turning the reverse light off and the neutral light on.

Working the handle will sometimes free it up.

Dave.

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

Because you used the reverse to hold the bike the cables may have stretched a bit at the oil dip stick is the cables adjuster there is an enlienment mark on the crank case make sure its aligned up as if not the reverseswitch beside it will think its still in reverse the one at the handle is the reverselever switch often confused as the reverse switch

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Ok I will spray the switch down. I need to clean the air filter, so I will open it up and check the lever and switch out up close. Thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.