Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

My fuel pump does not run when I turn on the ignition. I have zero voltage on the wire to the pump with the key on.

this is the case even with the hose disconnected from the pump so thepressure shut off thing I read about on this site should not be the problem ( if such a shut off even exists.

When I touch a hot wire to the pump, it runs fine.

Is there a fuse dedicated to the fuel pump? If so where is it?

IS there any thing else that would prevent juice to the pump? A broken wire I know could do it, but I was looking for for some sort of circuit thing I could check.

thanks

Ted

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
imported post

There is a fuel pump relay located underneath the right side of the trunk.

Check it for power.

Another thing,the fuel pump will not run with just the key on, The kill switch must be on to power it

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

the 1200 has a relay... but faced with your problem, I just wired it to the accesory box... off when the bike is off, on when the bike is on accessory or "on"

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

The fuel pump will only run for a few seconds when the key or emergency switch is turned on. It will run again when the engine is running.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

when I turn on the key for the first time with the bike cold, I feelthe pump should kick on. I hear nothing at this point. When I hit the pump connector with the hot wire it pumps fine.

When should I have voltage on the wire to the pump?

By the way, this is a 1500, is that relay box still near the trunk?

The test of the fuel pump is to turn on the key with the hose off and measure the flow. I have no flow unless I hotwire the d--- thing.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

you should have power when the bike is on.... we know your pump works... the problem is somewhere before the power gets there... most likely a relay

·
Administrator
27,952 Posts
imported post

It is the #6 relay and #11 fuse in fuse box behind right side cover, partly behind right saddle bag.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

that is what I have concluded. Now I need to know where to find the relay or fuse. Any idea on where to look?

Thanks

ted

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
It is the #6 relay and #11 fuse in fuse box behind right side cover, partly behind right saddle bag.
Is the Fuse/Relay Box on the right side on the GL 1500 Interstate??:?

On my '89 GL 1500The Fuse/Relay Boxis on the left side sitting on the bike and Fuse # 2 supplies power to the Fuel Pumpalong with power to Ign& lot of other things. The Fuel Pump Relay, 4 pin White connector,is located behind the right saddlebag.

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

Ted, you might want toget the GL 1500 2000 Electronic Service Manual. My manual has an index in the back with pictures that give a pretty good location on most stuff.

·
Administrator
27,952 Posts
imported post

Wichita Scorpion wrote:
DaveO430 wrote:
Is the Fuse/Relay Box on the right side on the GL 1500 Interstate??:?

On my '89 GL 1500The Fuse/Relay Boxis on the left side sitting on the bike and Fuse # 2 supplies power to the Fuel Pumpalong with power to Ign& lot of other things. The Fuel Pump Relay, 4 pin White connector,is located behind the right saddlebag.
My bad, had my eyes crossed when I wrote that. :X

The manual I have does not show a fuel pump relay at all, only the tail/main relay which powers the ECM.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

Thank you I was looking for a service manual site with no luck. I loaned my manualto someone who seems to have dissapered from the earth.

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
My bad, had my eyes crossed when I wrote that. :X
Dave, I have been there, done that. I just had to apologize last week for a post of mine. I enjoy reading your responses and they are right on point. The only way I know to stay perfect is to do nothing.
I am under the impression that all the GL 1500s are basically the same as far as wiring harness, Fuse/Relay Box, etc. What is your take on this?

Ted, I did not mean to hijack your thread, just trying to get a better understanding of the difference in the GL 1500 and years. My 1989 GL 1500 Electrical Manual shows the Fuel Pump Relay at the bottom of the frame about 6-10 inches to the left of the Shock mounting bolt (Behind Right Saddlebag). Has a 4 pin White connector on it.

You haven't indicated any problem with the operation of the bike. Does your bike start and run? From what I understand, and others have written here, the Fuel Pump Relay won't have any power until the Ignition Control Unit sees a need for the Fuel pump to operate.
Be interested to know what you find.

Also, you might put your motorcycle year/model information in your signature block on your profile. When you post, others will know what you ride.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

The Goldwing is a lot like a car fuel pump system, in that it has an initial prime when the key is turned to the "on" position, then it shuts off until you crank the engine over......this is a safety feature to stop the fuel pump operation in case of an accident and the key is left on. The computer controls this fuel pump operation and has a built in prime timer and therefore needs to see a crankshaft signal to continue fuel pump operation. It sounds like a fuel pump relay, or a computer control problem.....The computer most likely provides a ground circuit for the fuel pump relay on a 4 wire relay system.

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

JasonWaugh wrote:
The Goldwing is a lot like a car fuel pump system, in that it has an initial prime when the key is turned to the "on" position, then it shuts off until you crank the engine over......this is a safety feature to stop the fuel pump operation in case of an accident and the key is left on. The computer controls this fuel pump operation and has a built in prime timer and therefore needs to see a crankshaft signal to continue fuel pump operation. It sounds like a fuel pump relay, or a computer control problem.....The computer most likely provides a ground circuit for the fuel pump relay on a 4 wire relay system.
:clapper:Right on, Jason, good information about the operation ofa fuel pump and safety.

On the GL 1500 12 volt Power is supplied by: Hot At All Times Fuse #2, Ignition Cruise Fuse; through the #8 Ign. Cruise Relay, energized with Ignition ON; through the Engine Stop Switch; through Fuel Pump Relay to the Fuel Pump. The other side of the Fuel Pump is connected to Ground.
The Fuel Pump Relay is energized and de energized by the fuel Pump Relay Control out of the Ignition Control Unit.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
imported post

These threads get more interesting and informative when people offer their wisdom on slighty different issues.

The points about how the system operates are informative, but leave me still wondering, how do I get spark to the pump?

So let me offer mor einfo in hope of luring more answers.

The pump itself is working perfectly. the bike runs great.

I was working on the bike, removing the wires for a couple of no longer used accessories, and probably created a short in the fuel pump circuit which blew a fuse.

The bike was running in idle mode after my efforts and ran out of gas with fuel in the tank. My troubleshooting showed me that I had no electric power to the fuel pump.

After checking every fuse I could find and finding none blown, I tried touching a known hot wire to the fuel pump lead and it immediatley started pumping.

Out of desperation, I connected the fuel pump hot terminal to a wire that is only hot when the ignition is on. This wire is also connected through an accessory switch.

By turning on both the accessary switch and the ignition switch, I have a fuel pump that works and the bike runs great. I do not have a fuel pump that will shut off after a few seconds if the motor kills. If I want the ignition on without running the motor, I need to turn off the accessory switch.

My first guess is back to my orignal conclusion that I blew a fuse.Perhaps I confused the computer with my rewiring efforts andand it is not telling the fuel pump to run. However, after I started chasing this problem, I disconnected the battery two or three times which should have reset the computer, I would think.

Everything on the bike runs and works. Every light and accessory works.

Interestingly, when I touched that hot wire to the fuel pump with the igniton off, not only did the pump run, but the cruise control light came on also.

So I am back to "where is the fuse or relay that controls the fuel pump and nothing else".

Thanks for the point about the profile.

ted

·
Administrator
27,952 Posts
imported post

The service manual I downloaded is for 1994 models, which Ted has. It shows no fuel pump relay, maybe the earlier or later models had one but not 94. It shows power directly from the ECM via a blk/blu wire. There is an inline capacitor on SEs and aspys with CB on a 4 pin white connector on top of the fuel tank. the problem could be there.

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

Thanks Dave, guess I better stay out of electrical on 1991 and newer models.
Ted, sorry I couldn't be of any help. Hope you get it fixed.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
imported post

Update

I replaced the fuel pump as noted above and wired it direct to the accessory fuse block because I could not find the relay/fuse that was bad. The terminal I connected to is switched so I can turn off the pump when I have the bike off but the key on. This pump makes a noise that is louder than the orignal pump so I can hear it with the bike not running and this sound reminds me to turn off the switch. Unfortunately nothing reminds me to turn on the switch until the bike hesitates about a mile after I start up with the switch off. No different than the fuel shut off valve on my 1100.

The dealer can find that bad fuse/relay (I hope) when I take it in for service and repair the next time.

I used a Honda Accord fuel pump that cost about $70 and followed the directions I downloaded from this site. Very easy repair. Thank you to everyone who posts detailed directions with photos.

Last week I drove from Minnesota through Wisconsin Illinios, Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee, and back again, just over 2800 miles. Several hudnred miles were in 95 plus degree weather. Seven hundred miles one day with the temp over 90 for about 500 of them. The bike ran fine the entire time.

One thing I have noticed is that the bike is starting much better with the new fuel pump.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
imported post

Update

I replaced the fuel pump as noted above and wired it direct to the accessory fuse block because I could not find the relay/fuse that was bad. The terminal I connected to is switched so I can turn off the pump when I have the bike off but the key on. This pump makes a noise that is louder than the orignal pump so I can hear it with the bike not running and this sound reminds me to turn off the switch. Unfortunately nothing reminds me to turn on the switch until the bike hesitates about a mile after I start up with the switch off. No different than the fuel shut off valve on my 1100.

The dealer can find that bad fuse/relay (I hope) when I take it in for service and repair the next time.

I used a Honda Accord fuel pump that cost about $70 and followed the directions I downloaded from this site. Very easy repair. Thank you to everyone who posts detailed directions with photos.

Last week I drove from Minnesota through Wisconsin Illinios, Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee, and back again, just over 2800 miles. Several hudnred miles were in 95 plus degree weather. Seven hundred miles one day with the temp over 90 for about 500 of them. The bike ran fine the entire time.

One thing I have noticed is that the bike is starting much better with the new fuel pump.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.