Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 20 Posts

· Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
It is the #6 relay and #11 fuse in fuse box behind right side cover, partly behind right saddle bag.
Is the Fuse/Relay Box on the right side on the GL 1500 Interstate??:?

On my '89 GL 1500The Fuse/Relay Boxis on the left side sitting on the bike and Fuse # 2 supplies power to the Fuel Pumpalong with power to Ign& lot of other things. The Fuel Pump Relay, 4 pin White connector,is located behind the right saddlebag.

· Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

Ted, you might want toget the GL 1500 2000 Electronic Service Manual. My manual has an index in the back with pictures that give a pretty good location on most stuff.

· Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
My bad, had my eyes crossed when I wrote that. :X
Dave, I have been there, done that. I just had to apologize last week for a post of mine. I enjoy reading your responses and they are right on point. The only way I know to stay perfect is to do nothing.
I am under the impression that all the GL 1500s are basically the same as far as wiring harness, Fuse/Relay Box, etc. What is your take on this?

Ted, I did not mean to hijack your thread, just trying to get a better understanding of the difference in the GL 1500 and years. My 1989 GL 1500 Electrical Manual shows the Fuel Pump Relay at the bottom of the frame about 6-10 inches to the left of the Shock mounting bolt (Behind Right Saddlebag). Has a 4 pin White connector on it.

You haven't indicated any problem with the operation of the bike. Does your bike start and run? From what I understand, and others have written here, the Fuel Pump Relay won't have any power until the Ignition Control Unit sees a need for the Fuel pump to operate.
Be interested to know what you find.

Also, you might put your motorcycle year/model information in your signature block on your profile. When you post, others will know what you ride.

· Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

JasonWaugh wrote:
The Goldwing is a lot like a car fuel pump system, in that it has an initial prime when the key is turned to the "on" position, then it shuts off until you crank the engine over......this is a safety feature to stop the fuel pump operation in case of an accident and the key is left on. The computer controls this fuel pump operation and has a built in prime timer and therefore needs to see a crankshaft signal to continue fuel pump operation. It sounds like a fuel pump relay, or a computer control problem.....The computer most likely provides a ground circuit for the fuel pump relay on a 4 wire relay system.
:clapper:Right on, Jason, good information about the operation ofa fuel pump and safety.

On the GL 1500 12 volt Power is supplied by: Hot At All Times Fuse #2, Ignition Cruise Fuse; through the #8 Ign. Cruise Relay, energized with Ignition ON; through the Engine Stop Switch; through Fuel Pump Relay to the Fuel Pump. The other side of the Fuel Pump is connected to Ground.
The Fuel Pump Relay is energized and de energized by the fuel Pump Relay Control out of the Ignition Control Unit.

· Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

Thanks Dave, guess I better stay out of electrical on 1991 and newer models.
Ted, sorry I couldn't be of any help. Hope you get it fixed.

1 - 5 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.