Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 1999 GL1500SE with 185,000 km or 115,000 miles on it.

4th gear shiftswell, no grinding or jumping out of gear,but it does have a very very slight whine to it as you accelerate,should I be concerned?or just keep driving it,,I do not drive this bike hard,just kinda wondering if I should be concerned,,,it has had this whinning for the last 20,000 miles,maybe longer,,,,I use Motul 10w40 semisynthetic oil in this bike,please advise and thanks

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

If you can get some Shell Rottella 15w40 or Delo400 15-40 you might get better shifting. Whining, not sure if it will correct it or not.
Do you have floor boards on the bike?

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

To answer all 3 of you,no the bike does not have floor boards,Shell rotella 15w40,I am happy with the motul semi synthetic oil and I have no shifting issues,the only minor concern i have is the very slight whinning during acceleration in 4th gear only,thanks for you help:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
imported post

I switched from the Rotella oil to the Chevron Delo 15-40 oil and noticed an improvement in the way the bike runs, and shifts. If you can getit there, try some at next oil change. 1999 Gold Wings were not known to give transmission problems like pre `97 models had.

gumbyred

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
imported post

The only Whine I've ever heard, came from either the Timing Belts, or the Alternator Dampeners... Suppose you might want to verify that they're in good shape.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Hi Alex

I changed the timing belts 30,000km or 20,000 miles ago.

If it was the timing belts or alternator,why do I only hear this very slight whinning noise in 4th gear?

I know you are trying to help,but to me that just doesn't make sense.

I think I will just keep using the motul 10w40 semi synthetic oil,because the bike does run smoother and quieter with no shifting issues at all.

I will just drive it the way I always have and hope fully the slight whinning noise never gets any worse

thanks for you help

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
imported post

Lindeman wrote:
...If it was the timing belts or alternator,why do I only hear this very slight whinning noise in 4th gear?...
> I don't know... am guessing that you might be running in 4th at a particular rpm (2.5k) at which the belts tend to whine... in which case, it has nothing to do with 4th gear, but rather the rpm.

Perhaps try this... Let's say that in 4th you're going 40mph and get the whine... Try running in 5th at 40mph and see if the whine is still there (eg Same speed, lower rpm)

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
imported post

Lindeman wrote:
...If it was the timing belts or alternator,why do I only hear this very slight whinning noise in 4th gear?...
> I don't know... am guessing that you might be running in 4th at a particular rpm (2.5k) at which the belts tend to whine... in which case, it has nothing to do with 4th gear, but rather the rpm.

Perhaps try this... Let's say that in 4th you're going 40mph and get the whine... Try running in 5th at 40mph and see if the whine is still there (eg Same speed, lower rpm)

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

I only hear the whine in 4th gear,and only when accelerating,thanks for your help

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.