Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!
I've finally finished all the deferred maintenance my new to me 1500 needed when I picked it up but she's still giving me trouble. Here's the stats:

1994 Black GL1500 Aspy
54,000 miles

New:
Tires
Timing belts
Spark plugs
Fluids

But she won't idle without the choke. Sitting still? No idle. Coming to a red light? Blub, blub,dud. How bout 75 on the highway? Pull the clutch in, rpms drop and die. Hot day, bike already warned up? Turn off the choke and kaput.

Also, anyone else's front end feel light at 75mph?

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Normal 1500 carbs issues from setting for a while,I had some issues with mine once when it set for a year,I used a product from auto zone called RXP ( I think) orange bottle into the fuel and rode it a few hundred miles,added mor and evenly cleared up,noe I run some injecto cleaner a few times a year and marvel mystery oil ever few tanks of fuel.
no problems with front being light

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, she sat for two years before I got her, that's kinda what I figured.

"Light"is just the first word that came to mind. It seems like it's wandering a little. And I mean it's super subtle, but it's there.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
What tire did you use,tire pressure on these heavy bikes is critical kinda.
iuse Avon Radial on the front,35 psi,Avon bias ply on back 45just dump some additive in it everytime you get gas and it might clean up,

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts

"Light"is just the first word that came to mind. It seems like it's wandering a little. And I mean it's super subtle, but it's there.
Sounds like sooooo many others where the low speed circuit has varnished shut from sitting. Some had luck using cleaners over time. If not improved, take the carbs off and clean them concentrating on low speed circuit.

·
Premium Member
3,740 Posts
Sounds like sooooo many others where the low speed circuit has varnished shut from sitting. Some had luck using cleaners over time. If not improved, take the carbs off and clean them concentrating on low speed circuit.
I would not do that until after (if needed) doing the "Slam Dunk" procedure. We have straightened out a couple "low speed circuit issues" with this procedure.

I like doing the simple easy things first....!!

Then run a heavy concentration of Sea Foam through a couple tanks of gas....!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Slam dunk? No idea what it is but it sounds awesome.

Reactions: limpy45

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,641 Posts
I bought a 94SE that had set up 2 years or so.
Ran Sea Foam in every fill up.
Took about 3 or 4 months to get it done, but it worked out well for me.

·
It aint rocket science
3,919 Posts
Two years, Is that direct from the PO?:LOL: If so add more time because it will not idle at all.😭Many in your situation will spend months trying chemicals or introducing a vacuum (in a normal running engine which suddenly develops a blockage) into the carburetor hoping to dislodge a piece of debris blocking a jet. If the machine sat for that amount of time it has a cement like residue blocking the idle jets which no over the counter chemical will ever completely remove.
Clean the carbs and install new gaskets along with new OEM pilot jets and be back on the road tomorrow after dialing in the carbs.

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
Slam dunk? No idea what it is but it sounds awesome.
It is the equivalent to revving the engine to higher RPM and then applying the choke. That can't be done on a 1500 as it has no choke plate. It has an enrichener instead. So what he does is remove the air filter, rev the RPM's up pretty high, cover the top of the carbs, when it almost stalls out, uncover carbs, let it rev up again and repeat the process. May need to do a few times. It has worked for us a few times.
The theory is by revving the engine then suddenly blocking the inlet air to the carbs creates high vacuum in the carb circuits. If you are lucky it might "pull" the obstruction from the restricted circuit. I have used the principle many times with only a little luck but it might be worth a try. Maybe using a combination of the cleaner to soften the obstruction and the high vacuum just might pull it out. Seems most who want fairly quick results end up taking them apart and cleaning them. If you do clean them take some time to familiarize yourself with the carbs so you end up with a good results. Many members tear in to these carbs with no idea what their real target is and the work does not end well.

·
It aint rocket science
3,919 Posts
It is the equivalent to revving the engine to higher RPM and then applying the choke. That can't be done on a 1500 as it has no choke plate. It has an enrichener instead. So what he does is remove the air filter, rev the RPM's up pretty high, cover the top of the carbs, when it almost stalls out, uncover carbs, let it rev up again and repeat the process. May need to do a few times. It has worked for us a few times.
The theory is by revving the engine then suddenly blocking the inlet air to the carbs creates high vacuum in the carb circuits. If you are lucky it might "pull" the obstruction from the restricted circuit. I have used the principle many times with only a little luck but it might be worth a try. Maybe using a combination of the cleaner to soften the obstruction and the high vacuum just might pull it out.
This was one of the first things learned and attempted 40yrs. ago when I came into the business for a carb problem but that was for an unknown vehicle that came in the door. For one that has not been started or run in years it is more or less useless, you might be pulling more debris (junk) further into the carb circuits complicating things.:) Repair and ride tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
This was one of the first things learned and attempted 40yrs. ago when I came into the business for a carb problem but that was for an unknown vehicle that came in the door. For one that has not been started or run in years it is more or less useless, you might be pulling more debris (junk) further into the carb circuits complicating things.:)
I'm not terribly optimistic but I thought it would be his decision.

·
It aint rocket science
3,919 Posts
Mechanic in a can (insert your favorite additive) only goes so far. After that leave it to the professional.
Don't get me going on the younger you tube watcher who knows everything and has seen everything by age 25 and can repair it :LOL: , IF it has been posted for them to follow directions. No you tube when I came into this business, it was seat of the pants figure it out.:). These guys come through our shop and the short comings are apparent. A good chunk of you tube videos I see have technical errors that show the inexperience of the creator which is predominate "so take so called you tube" (posters) experts with a grain of salt.

Reactions: siouxindian

·
Premium Member
3,740 Posts
Say what you want, we have used the Slam Dunk on three different GL1500's with good results. One had sat unridden for 5 years. I am speaking from personal experience.

We have also removed and cleaned carbs on other GL1500's..

Angle City can choose as he wishes to resolve the issue.

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
I say the Nuclear approach! Try them all. If all else fails take them apart. I HATE that job!! :p

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey, hey, hey!! I may be a millennial, but I'm an elder millennial! Youtube is handy, but like anything else (including forums) it's just a tool.

I figure I've gotta go through the airbox either way, so why not "slam dunk" it on my way to removing the carbs for a rebuild?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, either I'm doing it wrong or it's not working. I'm having a hard time keeping it lit, revving it up, and covering the carbs all at once. With only two hands.

Whose got the best rebuild kit?

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Try additive in tank first,the carbs are a JOB ,if you do decide to do them,there’s a guy referenced on this side the does them for 350,

·
Premium Member
3,740 Posts
Well, either I'm doing it wrong or it's not working. I'm having a hard time keeping it lit, revving it up, and covering the carbs all at once. With only two hands.

The best one. Everything is packaged and labeled separately etc......!!!! You don't need to deal with a "middle man"......

·
Premium Member
3,740 Posts

You need a helper. One person controlling the throttle while the other person "snuffs out" the air input to the carbs.....!! Easy peasey.....!!!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts