Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I recently bought a 1500 put just under 3000 miles on it so its time for a oil change. What kind of oil is good to use and type of oil filter. I live about 70 miles from a Honda dealer so something from a auto parts store. What about Synthetic Oil and is it like on a car can I put more miles on it using it.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
imported post

You can use synthetic on a 1500 Wing, plenty of choices out there. It will last longer between oil changes just like it does on a car.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
imported post

Yep like bootwing said. You will get many different sugestions on the type of oil or brand of oil to use. Just do a forum searh on oil and you should get plenty of info. As far as the filters...no you do not have to stick with honda brands. There are several out there that will work....two that comes to mind right now are NAPA 1358 & AC-PF2135. There is also a Walmart brand that works but for the moment I can not remember the number of it.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,253 Posts
imported post

Many, many, many, many, many oil opinions. Many folks on this site use 15/40 by Delo/Shell/Delvac. They come in a 4 quart bottle and cost under $15. As for filter, the Wal-Mart supertech 6607 replaces it perfectly and has a good record. NAPA also has one in its 'gold' line, #1358 I think, that runs about $15.
I ran full synthetic for a couple years and have switched to 15/40. Frankly, I have noticed no loss of anything and I am close to 86000 miles on the bike (only15k of them not mine). Personal opinion- use the 15/40 and save the wad of money you would have spent on synthetic. Oil changes are a breeze so just do it more often.
I change mine every 4 months or so.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I was thinking of Rotella oil in synthetic because I've had this bike less than a month and already 3000 miles at this rate a oil change every month. I'm looking at some coast to coast trips next year and maybe north to south so would like to get a few more miles on a oil change.

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
imported post

Just be sure to stay away from those labeled "energy conserving" (too slippery for a wet clutch application)

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,253 Posts
imported post

There are synthetics designed for wet clutches made by Mobil1, Amsoil and others.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

When you do the oil change, be sure to drain the two 1/2-dia tubes located by your left foot.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,253 Posts
imported post

Agree^. Though I have cheated and pulled the plugs so I never have to remember not to forget again. Did that two years ago.

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
imported post

rpeters549 wrote:
Agree^. Though I have cheated and pulled the plugs so I never have to remember not to forget again. Did that two years ago.
Are there any problems with pulling the plugs out other than leaving a spot of oil in someones driveway. When I drain mine it seemsmore watery moisture.....Doesn't seem like it wouldbe a problem unless over the years the tube filled up and backed into wherever it originated from and affected the integrity of the oil. Draining the old tubes is somewhat satisfying in some weird sense.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Predator wrote:
Are there any problems with pulling the plugs out other than leaving a spot of oil in someones driveway. When I drain mine it seemsmore watery moisture.....Doesn't seem like it wouldbe a problem unless over the years the tube filled up and backed into wherever it originated from and affected the integrity of the oil. Draining the old tubes is somewhat satisfying in some weird sense.
It looks like the tubes originate in the air box between the air filter and the carburetors so draw your own conclusion.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

Ken Bergen wrote:
It looks like the tubes originate in the air box between the air filter and the carburetors so draw your own conclusion.
> Translation: With the plugs removed, you are drawing Unfiltered Air into the carbs... Probably not a good idea.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
imported post

alillico wrote:
I was thinking of Rotella oil in synthetic because I've had this bike less than a month and already 3000 miles at this rate a oil change every month. I'm looking at some coast to coast trips next year and maybe north to south so would like to get a few more miles on a oil change.
Okay.......okay...........I........I........I'll start it..........

Honda says that oil change intervals are 12,800 km - that would be 8,500 mile for you kilometre impaired guys!

That's the schedule I follow and have had not had any difficulty and means that I do not change my oil every month. I do follow it religiously however, and this does mean I do change it while away from home touring. I also use Castrol 4 stroke motorcycle oil and I do think it allows for better shifting than does an equivalent weight automotive oil - might be my imagination, however.

I have for forty two years simply followed the manufacturers recommended scheduled oil change intervals and have yet to experience an oil related failure on any of my many trucks, cars or bikes that I, my spouse, or my kids have owned over these years................now, having said that I gotta run outside and knock on some wood..............and my kids usually crashed their cars before the engines had time to wear out!

Just my opinion that, generally speaking, we have been oversold on the frequency of oil changes (good marketing?) and that can't be good for the environment. Probably, more important (again just my opinion) to frequently check the actual oil level, tire pressure, antifreeze, etc.

Am now running for cover........

T.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

tnoort wrote:
Okay.......okay...........I........I........I'll start it..........

Honda says that oil change intervals are 12,800 km - that would be 8,500 mile for you kilometre impaired guys!....
Am now running for cover........

T.
I'll continue it.:ROFL::ROFL:

If you're following what Honda says you're spending a small fortune on spark plugs changing them every 6,500 km or 4,000 miles.:shock:

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
imported post

FYI I use the Rotella synthetic 5w-40 oil & Wal-Mart's Super Tech 7313 filter. I change my oil every 6,000 miles, BUT change my filter every 3,000 miles. Filters are small & at $2.50 each, they are cheap.....Your mileage may vary....

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I change oil about every 4000-5000 miles unless I'm on a trip and then I'll let it go to 8000 miles per Honda's recommendation. The main thing is that I like to change the oil at least every six months to keep combustion byproductsfrom building up in the engine. I don't use synthetics because the higher cost tends to make one run the stuff longer. Makes no sense to me if an engine does well with the lower priced oil to use the super high priced stuff. My '93 had 170,000 miles on it and was running fine, compression wasas close to factory specs as I could measure and the engien used no oil between changes. DELO 400 15W40. Workson theWest coast in all seasonsno problem. It takes a good quality oil base to be diesel rated. That better base helps DELO hold up in gas engines that don't stress the stuffas much asin a diesel with it's higher pressures on bearings.With the much higher compression ratio a diesel puts a lot more pressure on it's main, wrist pin and rod bearings than a gas engine. If one has a need to put the high priced stuff in the crankcase, and high octane gas in the tank I suppose one would also put nitrogen in the tires. Me? I use DELO, 87 octane and 78% Nitrogen in the tires.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,253 Posts
imported post

As for unplugging those tubes, they have been that way on every bike I have ever owned and I have never known there to be an issue. Aren't they just drain tubes? Otherwise, if they drew air in, would that not create a vacuum type leak and a poor running condition?
What kills the life of most oils is people not running it long or often enough. If your ride is so short it does not get to full temp it does not evaporate off the condensation and other crud. With average riding (whatever that is) I agree with the twice a year minimum, and tent to go about three times. Since I ride through the winter I will change to 10/30 (motorcycle oil) for the heart of winter.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

rpeters549 wrote:
Aren't they just drain tubes? Otherwise, if they drew air in, would that not create a vacuum type leak and a poor running condition?
Nope, just some dusty air bypassing your air filter.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.