Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I went to change my oil and noticed a few drops of oil on the floor close to the back of the engine. The oil looked new and smelled like hypoid gear oil. After further inspection I found the rubber boot covering the universal joint had the same oil covering the bottom of it. I think it is coming from the final drive. I've pulled the saddle bags and checked the fluid level in the final drive, It's a little low but not that bad. Do I need to rebuild the final drive or is there an O-Ring that I need to replace?

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
imported post

There is an oil seal at the front of the final drive. I think you have to unbolt the part that the drive shaft slides into to get access to the seal.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

finally got the drive off and the drive shaft tube is full of oil.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Just pulled the pinion joint and there is a groove worn in it where the seal rides and there is also some play in it too. Looks like im in the market for another drive.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Not sure what you mean by pulled the pinion, I thought that required disassembly of the drive assembly, but I have a 1200. I recently had the entire rear end apart (except for the swingarm) and I replaced the oil seal on the driveshaft, where it goes into the final drive gearcase. I haven't noticed any leaks yet. The drive shafts on ALL shaft drive bikes require periodic disassembly, and lubrication, or they don't tend to last long. I pull the whole rear end out of my Vulcan 750, clean everything, and lube with moly paste every 10,000 miles. I have seen a LOT of shaft drive bikes of all makes with their final drive splines chewed up from lack of maintenance. Surprisingly, it's rarely even on the maintenance schedule.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I didn't pull the Pinion, I pulled the pinion coupling. After a little research I found out that I need a special tool to remove the pinion bearing retainer to get at the seal. I thought about replacing the pinion coupling since it has a groove worn in it, but how long will it last till it starts leaking again.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
imported post

If i understand you correctly,the oil filled tube you are talking about is the one the rear of the driveshaft goes into. That is supposed to have oil in it and is telling you that the hole where oil is supposed to come out actually does is working correctly to lube the shaft. If the oil is coming out around the back of the driveshaft where it goes into the differential, then all you need is the seal that goes on the driveshaft. They should be replaced quite often.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

The tube with oil in it is the swing arm tube. The tube the drive shaft fits in is leaking oil around it not from the middle where the drive shaft fits. My drive shaft seal looks good,it is the larger seal in the final that is shot. I have located a trike shop here local and gonna call them tomorrow and see if they have a final for sale.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

i think the pinion bearing job needs a shop jig..1500....or then again i think they might be disposable on the 12's...that means a new rear end is the only answer...but i think the seals are replaceable...but whats the point if the pinion brng is worn out

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Picked up a final today at a local salvage yard. After comparing it side by side with my old one, The Pinion bearing on my old one is definitely loose. Theres no play at all in the new one, Got my new drive shaft seal ordered, picked up some Moly 60 and maybe get my bike back together this weekend. Im gonna tear into the old one sometime and see how hard it will be to rebuild.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.