Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey guys, I've got a '93 A with Progressive springs. Left fork was leaking so Istarted the basic rebuild on both. Using a Clymer manual and going through the steps I cleaned and inspected the right fork including the damper rod assembly. Everything matched up with the diagram in the manual but I didn't order new stop rings as the manual warns. I'm thinking I'm just going to use the old ones. Anyway, the confusion began while inspectingthe left fork. There is no oil lock piece and one less stop ring (2). The diagram clearly shows the oil lock, which I assume is for both forks. However, according to this manual, the right fork requires 5 cc's less fork oil than the left which would make sense - less oil for the fork with the oil lock as it would push the oil level higher. Basic displacement theory.

I took the bike over at 27k miles and I get the feeling the previous owner didn't bother with things like forks or even basic maintenance, so I don't think they've ever been cracked open. Unless it's a Frankenstein and I've got an Interstate left fork. Butthose are supposed to haveanoillock on the left too.

Any thoughts or ideas? I would appreciate it. Thanks.

p.s. would you use the old stop rings on the damper rod?

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

Your forks are correct. The left one does not have the extra pieces. I thought there was something wrong when I did mine but the factory manual shows and says that these pieces are not in the left fork. And yes the fork oil is different in each fork, just remember to get them as close as you can in height of oil in each fork. Someplace on here is a thread of how one guy did it and it worked out pretty good.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thank you 93, that's great news.
Sweet airplane and it runs on regular avgas? Cool!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.