Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on a gl1500 (1999 model se) when you change out the subfilter, and the cruise control - filter, do you oil the foam filter before installing them into the bike? thank's.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Yep....
Dipped mine in motor oil then wring out the oil & shake them a bit and install

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
Oiled mine, but wrung them out real good. A very light oiling is all it needs. Helps catch the dirt better, or K&N would tell you to install their filters dry too...

I sculpted my filters from green lawnmower filter media, which is supposed to get oiled. I didn't feel comfortable oiling some foam that may break down if it came into contact with oil.

The dry foam catches the big particles, the smaller ones can make their way through. The oiled filter traps all dirt particles. It's your choice, but nowhere on the net can you find a foam filter manufacturer recommend dry foam filters. Either way, change them out every few years.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Oiled mine, but wrung them out real good. A very light oiling is all it needs. Helps catch the dirt better, or K&N would tell you to install their filters dry too...

I sculpted my filters from green lawnmower filter media, which is supposed to get oiled. I didn't feel comfortable oiling some foam that may break down if it came into contact with oil.

The dry foam catches the big particles, the smaller ones can make their way through. The oiled filter traps all dirt particles. It's your choice, but nowhere on the net can you find a foam filter manufacturer recommend dry foam filters. Either way, change them out every few years.
Even the green foam will crumble when not kept clean and oiled.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
Well, of course. Not all foam lasts forever. I intend to replace them every couple of years any ways. Very cheap insurance.

My comment was about using decorative foam from a craft or hobby store, that may be made of some material not intended to have any contact with petroleum products.

·
Pwhoever
3,342 Posts
If you follow the service manual, sub air filter gets oiled but the cruise filter is supposed to be dry, no oil. Thats how I do it...

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
If you follow the service manual, sub air filter gets oiled but the cruise filter is supposed to be dry, no oil. Thats how I do it...

That is how I understand the service manual also and the way I do it.

·
X-Roughneck
1,229 Posts
We use to use K&N oiled filters racing dirttracks acoss the midwest,until the dirt clinged to the oil and plugged the filter shut before the end of the race.Since then,all of us go DRY with all filters, even on the street. You should see some of the tests.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
It will anyway, even if kept clean and oiled. How much they are used, how they are cleaned, the type of oil used, and the type of foam will determine how long before they degrade.

If you follow the service manual, sub air filter gets oiled but the cruise filter is supposed to be dry, no oil....
I agree with you, but I don't follow the book on this one.

Every oiled sub-air filter that I have removed was falling apart, at least to some degree, but none of the (dry) C/C filters did. Yes, I agree that they probably catch a little more dirt, but if they crumble they filter nothing, and getting chunks of rotted foam filter in the vacuum hoses is not good either. If Honda thought they NEEDED really clean air why did they not just use small paper elements there?

Because I have no way to detect EXACTLY when the foam might fail, I choose to install these filters dry. I oil the one for the air compressor, as that one has a filter behind the foam, and is that system is less critical if it fails (to me anyway).

Nope, I installed both dry.
Again, this is just me. Maybe if I drove on more dirt or dusty roads I might do something else....

Bill

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
I have seen these filters in the Honda sealed package crumble when opened to install.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.