Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Which is the better bike in your opinion? GL1500 or pan european, and why? Just curious, as I,m tempted by the new pan, however it would have to be some machine to prize me from my wing. I,m quite a spirited driver and I am reasonably happy with the performance and handling of my bike with progressive springs and 450 ias shock. Would the pan measure up?( or am I just dreaming?). I think I would also miss the comfort and the stereo. Any opinions offered would be appreciated, as it,s difficult to get a test ride anywhere.

Regards to all

Joe

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
imported post

Hi Scotwing,

I feel you would be making a mistake if you think that all you have become used to on your Goldwing can be surpassed or bettered by the more modern Pan 13. In the end the decision is yours, but at the very least talk to other Pan owners about why they like their bikes, would they buy another, what do they like best about it, etc etc etc??? I think , as an ex Pan 13 owner myself, that their priorities will be very different from those of a Goldwing rider. Sure there are a lots of similarities, full fairing , luggage capacity. And it has to be said, that Pan 13 engine is a cracker, possibly the best thing about the bike. It's blisteringly fast, with massive mid range torque, a real gem, and very smooth to boot. A far cry from the GL15 I'm afraid. However, the Pan is pretty "soulless", as per many other bland but efficient Hondas. There is just very little that would make you "love" it, if you follow me. Don't get me wrong, it's a great bike, but it goes about it's business in a completely different way to a Goldwing, so don't be surprised if you miss the Wing very soon after you let it go.
There is one other thing to do though. Combine the soul of a Wing with the efficiency , handling and power of the Pan. Buy a Goldwing 1800....'nuff said!!!!

Steve18

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Excellent reply Steve, thanks for the insight. As stated I,m pretty happy with most things about the wing. I have owned mine for nine years, so I think I understand it very well,and know it,s limitations. Even my sports tourer owning travelling friends keep telling me to keep it as I,m never far behind on the road. I totally agree with your comments about "having soul".

Thanks again Steve

Joe

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
imported post

I know a man living in Dublin who in the last 4 years went from a GL1500 to a Yamaha GTR1000, then an Pan ST1100, a BMW K1200LT, then a Pan ST1300.Now he wants to buy a GL1800. Some things he likes about the ST, but there are more things he likes about the Wing. He reckons the rear suspension is better on the BMW than on the GL1800, but in most other respects he thinks the GL1800 is better and thats why he will buy one soon.

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
imported post

scotwing wrote:
Which is the better bike in your opinion? GL1500 or pan european, and why?
Hey Joe

I have a Wing and a Pan, they are two very different animals. They are both capable of doing long distances but in very different ways. The wing feels like a big bike, it feels heavy and a more sedate ride, making touring a more leisurely activity. Which is no bad thing. The St1300 is a very different bike to the ST1100 never mind the wing. It is faster , smoother , linked brake system and ABS is a dream. The engine has masses of torque and the whole bike feels small, light and agile. I am constantly amazed ar how well it handles! My wife can manage the ST1300 really well, where she could not manage the wing at all, It is a bike that is hard to keep the speed down, it creeps up all the time. :D
I don't find the ST1300 soulless, I did 25,000 miles on itin ayear ,whenever I get back on the Bike I just feel part of the Bike, man and machine in perfect harmony:D
Our local dealer in Aberdeen has 3 in stock including a demonstrator, I don't think he's ever seen a Wing......:D

Ithink this is starting to sound like an advert for the Pan so I'll stop, they are both great Bikes , they do similar jobs in very different ways. If you want a sporty, comfyfast ride try a test ride ontheST1300, you know the GL1500 capabilities, and there are plenty of guys with advice about the 1800 , however the price tag rules me out of 1800 ownership I'm afraid 17k new in the UK.

This is the wear profile of the rear tyre on the Pan after 6,000 miles touring mainly 2 up with lots of luggage, oh those swiss passes......:D

You have a certain anonymity on a Pan, Bikers tend to go "oh its a Pan" and that's it move on , any poll of touring bikes usually places the ST1100 above the new Pan, most journalists rave about the new Pan and say its much better , the GL1800 Wing seems to win all the touringpolls the wing promotes much more interest from the general public and debate from Bikers. I have never seen any UK custom Pans yet but I guess the St1300 is still a relative young-blood.

So if your a gregarious dude who likesthe attention Wing ownership brings - keep the wing If however you are an anti-social speed freak touring misfit buy the new PAN
:D:D:D

BB

Attachments

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks for the reply Black Bart. Which dealer do you go to in Aberdeen?. I work offshore, so I am in the area every fortnight. If they have a demonstrator Imight get a test bride.

Joe

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
imported post

scotwing wrote:
Thanks for the reply Black Bart. Which dealer do you go to in Aberdeen?. I work offshore, so I am in the area every fortnight. If they have a demonstrator I might get a test bride.

Joe
OK...........I'm a dumb redneck.........what's a "fortnight"???

I try and imagine the accent when reading the posts but some of the words are confusing to an illiterate south Al. boy!!:(

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
imported post

To expand on trappers succinct and accurate reply

fourteen nights, our ancestors reckoned time by nights
and winters; so, seven nights =sennight, a week. \Not used these days]
The space offourteen consecutive nights; fortnight; two weeks.
"most major tennis tournaments last a fortnight"
Pedantically - The time elapsed between the new and full moons. Half a synodic month of 14.765,294 days.

BB

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Nothing beats a Wing.... Nothing...:)

Hey,, I'm from Massachusetts... PAAAAAAKK the CAAAAA!!! Ride a Wing! :clapper:

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Hey Clive, how are you. Just to let you know I,ve finally traded the old 89 GL1500 for an 05 ST1300. I mnaged to get a good trade price on the wing. I think your excellent replies to my earlier questions went a long way to convincing me to change.

My first impressions of the new bike?

The V4 engine is nowhere as smooth as the 6 cylinder (I think the counter balancers on the new bike may not be adjusted correctly)

Acceleration is a lot faster and can catch you out on the ST

Ditto for handling as the ST is much quicker steering.

I like the slightly more sporting posture when riding the bike and the electric screen is great.

As the ST has only 7k miles on as yet (500 by me) I am still adjusting to the different handling traits. I have not really experimented with the rev range/ gear selections whilst spirited riding as yet, however I presume the new bike will require more use of the gears whilst riding the twisties. I imagine it will prefer the higher rev ranges, whilst riding fast? All in all I should have loads of fun experimenting.

How is the GL1800 treating you these days

Joe

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

scotwing wrote:
Thanks for the reply Black Bart. Which dealer do you go to in Aberdeen?. I work offshore, so I am in the area every fortnight. If they have a demonstrator Imight get a test bride.

Joe
So you switched eh But you will be back Always welcome here

As to the rest How did your "test BRIDE' go I wish they had those around before i got married:grinner::grinner::grinner::grinner::grinner::grinner::grinner::grinner::grinner:

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
imported post

guy I ride with recently got a ST1300. It is an awesome bike. Very smooth and powerful. Never rode a GL1800, but I have heard they handle as well. Biggest difference I found was obviously the sitting position. Much more aggressive position on the ST1300. He is an old man too(57 I believe) and he has no problem on long rides, he puts 20k a year on his bikes. His legs do start to bug him a little on a longer ride from being bent more.
Personally, I would go the 1800 route. It would be a year or two older, but that is new enuff for me. I would guess just as fast, heard it handles at least as good and I prefer the sitting position better. He bought a blue one, which is what, a 2004 or 5, paid right at 10k. I would think you could get into a used 1800 for right around that.
However u go, u are getting a good bike that will give you years of service.

One thing i do not like about the ST1300, could use better lighting in the rear, really hard to see the turn signals when the sun is shining. Also, not a big fan of the stainless exhaust, discolors pretty quickly. I wouldn't not buy one for those reasons tho.

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
imported post

don_berry wrote:
guy I ride with recently got a ST1300. It is an awesome bike. Very smooth and powerful. Never rode a GL1800, but I have heard they handle as well. Biggest difference I found was obviously the sitting position. Much more aggressive position on the ST1300. He is an old man too(57 I believe) and he has no problem on long rides, he puts 20k a year on his bikes. His legs do start to bug him a little on a longer ride from being bent more.
Personally, I would go the 1800 route. It would be a year or two older, but that is new enuff for me. I would guess just as fast, heard it handles at least as good and I prefer the sitting position better. He bought a blue one, which is what, a 2004 or 5, paid right at 10k. I would think you could get into a used 1800 for right around that.
However u go, u are getting a good bike that will give you years of service.

One thing i do not like about the ST1300, could use better lighting in the rear, really hard to see the turn signals when the sun is shining. Also, not a big fan of the stainless exhaust, discolors pretty quickly. I wouldn't not buy one for those reasons tho.
THe ST1300 out performs the 1800 Goldwing in EVERY Catagory except weight. Straight line , twisties , MPG , you name it. Just accept it, the wing is different and can be your choice and therefore superior in your own judgement, However accept theinput of an owner of boththe PAN rules, technically.

I just sold the pan and bought a Harley, I am deaf, crippled and tired with a great big smile on my face.....WHY IS THIS????? :dude::dude::dude::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
imported post

can't say I have ever ridden a GL1800 so I just have to go by what I read, I can't really see where the ST1300 outperforms the 1800 in every category.
Maybe deaf and crippled from the vibrations of the Harley ?

I do know the ST1300 is one fast great handling bike, but from what I have READ, so is the GL1800.

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
imported post

MY 1800 is quick and handles fine, the ST runs rings around the wing. It has more ground clearance so can be cranked over much further than the wing, whose pegs dig in, I have seen 300 miles on a tank full of petrol, something the wing cannot match, in a straight line the Pan will eat a wing and a lot of so called sports bikes. Top speed of a Pan is an estimated 146mph I think the wing is maybe 130mpg.The Pan feels lighter and more resposive and turns quicker, it will wheelie in 1 st and second gear if you are not careful, the wing is a cruiser by comparison.

At this point I have to say I have kept my Wing and Sold the Pan ,it took me a year to decide which to keep, they both do a similar job very dfifferently and I like the all round feel of the Wing, and its towing capacity is legendary, something I would never have considered with the Pan.Technically Honda did a great job with the Pan but it does lack soulfor want of a better word, something the Wing has in abundance.

·
I am the Hobo
9,690 Posts
imported post

Black Bart wrote:
Top speed of a Pan is an estimated 146mph I think the wing is maybe 130mpg.
Hey Bart,

How come your wing does 130mpg and I'm lucky if I get 40mpg?

What you done to it?:shock:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.