Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hi Guys! Hoping someone can help me out.

I purchased a 1991 GL1500 recently and I'm having problems with it running to hot. It is fine if its cool outside on or off the freewaybut when its hot outside it runs close to the red (not boiling over) only on the freeway. Ive changed the thermostat and checked the hosesfor head gasket problems. Is this normal for this bike or should I check something else before I put it back together again andhead back onto the road?

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

blazinbye wrote:
Hi Guys! Hoping someone can help me out.

I purchased a 1991 GL1500 ...when its hot outside it runs close to the red (not boiling over) only on the freeway. Ive changed the thermostat and checked the hosesfor head gasket problems. ...
Are you saying that it runs hot on the freeway ???

No this is not normal, check for:

1) Coolant level

2) Faulty temperature gauge or sensor

3) Faulty radiator cap

4) Faulty fan motor

5) Improper ignition timing

6) Improper spark plugs

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
imported post

Verify the coolant is a 50/50 split, too much antifreeze will not cool you down, water is a better coolant but it freezes. If you do not trust the coolant change it out to a known 50/50 split by volume before you put it in. Do not add water and then antifreeze with the hope of it mixing in the bike, something akin to 2 cycle gas and oil. Premix with accuracy and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Tonys96 - yes only on the the freeway, on hot days.....

Thanksfor the suggestions everyone.

I know the fan is working properly but I will check the rest out. When I changed out the thermostat I put both of them in a pot and boiled the water the old one did not open as quick or as much as the new one. I installed the new one but dont have the bike back together yet. (installing new springs) just wanted to see if there is anything else I should checkin case that was not the problem.

Thanks again, Ken

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
imported post

ARKnapp wrote:
Verify the coolant is a 50/50 split, too much antifreeze will not cool you down, water is a better coolant but it freezes. If you do not trust the coolant change it out to a known 50/50 split by volume before you put it in. Do not add water and then antifreeze with the hope of it mixing in the bike, something akin to 2 cycle gas and oil. Premix with accuracy and see what happens.
When I got my GW it was running hot as well. I found out the coolant was older than the hills. So after doing a drain and flush. I refilled with 50/50 mix (Prestone mix with any color) and the temperature came right down.Now it never moves off the cool end of the guage (The narrow white area).

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts
imported post

I've been having the same problem for some time myself... The temp gauge runs at center or slightly above but never into the red but the bike is running hotter than it used to... I have owned this 1993 since it was new and it always ran in the lower 1/4 to 1/3 of the temp gauge... This warmer condition usually only happens with elevated outside tamperatures of 80 degrees plus... When I am done riding and pull into the garage, the fans are usually running and continued idling will not allow them to shut off... Once the bike is at this temperature (needle at center) it seems to coll down slowly and when the temp gauge needle is to the left of center, the temperature seems to elevate rapidly back to center when stopped at a redlight etc...

I have changed the thermostat, radiator cap, flushed the cooling system several times and installed a 50/50 mix of collant and distilled water... I have had the entire cooling system torn down in the past and cannot find any thing definitive that would point to this problem... The water pump looks good and timing is "spot on" and the plugs are "stock"

I am now leaning to a lower radiator hose that has a slight kink going to the streetside radiator (that others say isn't the problem) and I have also found that the grommet that leads into the reserve tank has several cracks in it... I'm wondering if these cracks are allowing air into the cooling system and causing the problem... I don't see any coolant in the oil nor oil in the coolant so I would think that head gaskets are OK...

Any other ideas???

Les

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

Hi guys. Do the radiator hoses get very hard when the engine is running for a few minutes? If so (and everything else checked out okay) then you mayhave a head gasket starting to go bad.

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts
imported post

Well today I replaced the water pump, the lower radiator hose (that had a mild kink in it) and the coolant reserve down tube that had some cracks in the grommett around the tube where the clamp is...

Unfortunately it ran the same on a test ride this afternoon with temps in the high 80's... Gauge was almost in the middle at 65 MPH on the freeway and of course went above center when I was stopped... Fans were running and it didn't go much above center but never dropped much either when I got back on the freeway... When I finally got back to the garage and the fans were on, they never shut off... Same when I filled with coolant after replacing items above... The fans cycled off just once, came back on again, and wouldn't shut off idling in the garage...

Think I'm going to try the Stant 11233 radiator cap which was recommended elsewhere... The cap I got from a local Honda dealer has a wierd "0.9" mark on the top and I can't tell how many pounds it is...

Will report back later...

Les

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

I got the bike put back together and still have the sameproblems. Its only getting hot at high speeds (freeway) and onhot days. at 50 mphand lower it stays at about the half way mark, if I go any faster it raises to above half, just below the red but does not boil over.

I checked the hoses they are not hard. I drainedthe coolant and put new Prestone 50/50 mix in and changed thermostat. My fansare working. I also put fuel system cleaner in it but nothing seems to be working. I thought about the water pump but after reading replies to this maybe thats not the problem either.

When the bike was running hot I pulled over andchecked the reserve tank and the coolant was still cold in it, the fluid in the radiator was very hot, when I started the bike with the radiator cap off the fluid raises and starts to over flow. I do not see any bubbles it just slowly rises up until I shut the bike off or replace the cap.

Is this normal orcould there bea blockage, air pocket or some other problem?

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
imported post

I also wanted to add that it is only getting hot while I am moving at high speeds. When I slow down or stop, it cools down or doesnt get any hotter.It has never actually overheated or boiled over just runs hot.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

At high speeds the fans should not be needed even in hot weather.

I'm away from my reference material, but I'd suspect electrical gremlins here.

How's your alternator output, check for loose grounds and check the sensor.

I can get you some more specifics in the AM.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

blazinbye wrote:
I also wanted to add that it is only getting hot while I am moving at high speeds. When I slow down or stop, it cools down or doesnt get any hotter.It has never actually overheated or boiled over just runs hot.
I was thinking of a gauge error, but the fans coming on seem to agree with the gauge. The fact that it doesn't heat at low speeds, where they are more likely to heat, seems odd to me. What happens if you ride at lower speeds but also in lower gears to keep the rpms about the same as on the highway? A friend brought his Toyota Tacoma over last month with the same symptoms. I checked the waterpump, hoses, and measured the coolant temp with my thermometer, which verified the gauge. Putting a hand on the radiator,most of the core felt a lot cooler than the outer edges and top and bottom. We changed the radiator and cured the problem. I'd give your radiator a good look to make sure the flow through it isn't restricted. If it's partially restricted, it will cool at low power demands but overheat when more power such as freeway riding is demanded. The odds are probably against, since I haven't heard of other Wing radiators scaling, but it's certainly worth checking out.

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts
imported post

Thanks Bob,

I'm going to pick up the Stant 11233 cap tomorrow... That's a 16 lb cap... Doubt that it will make much of a difference but I'll give it a try anyway...

I just got off the phone with a buddy of mine who is an auto mechanic and we're going to get together in a week or two at his shop... He has some fairly exotic test equipment that can tell if we have combustion gases in the coolant indicating a head gasket problem... He mentioned something about dye and such so if the new cap doesn't make a difference (I doubt it will) I'll continue my investigation over at his place to see if we have a bad head gasket...

Les

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts
imported post

Just as a follow up to the above post, I replaced the radiator cap with the Stant and there was no difference... The temp gauge is still running at 1/2 or a bit better and is very reluctant to cool back down once it reaches center...

As a bit more info which I neglected to include in my earlier posts is that if the gauge running at 1/3 + or so and I come to a stop light and sit for a bit, the gauge will start to rise a little but when I take off and accelerate, the gauge climbs a lot faster to around the half way mark or a bit higher... Almostlike the engine is heat sinking and the warmer air is then blown across the radiators - very strange - and this condition is consistent every time I ride...

I picked up an infrared temp gun and will attempt to take a few radiator measurements but I'll have to remove the upper radiator cover to do so... When I arrived home from a ride on Sunday, I took measurements on the lower radiator hose and the left cyclinder head and tried to "shoot" the radiators as well...The temp gauge was at center or slightly above...

The head was about 165 degrees and the lower hose was about 200 degrees... I tried to shoot through the radiator cover but the reading of 115 degrees I was getting was probably a false reading off the radiator cover... I have no reference to compare these readings to yet as my buddy was not available with his bike...

Les

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts
imported post

Thanks Tony, I'm leaning that way until I can do a few more checks... I believe though that the temp sensor and fan sensor operate independently of each other...

Les

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Tonys96 wrote:
Temps sound good, I'd think about replacing the temperature sensor, or at least check the wires. It operates the fans as well as the gauge.
Are you sure, I believe the thermostat switch for the fan is separate from the thermistor that operates the gauge.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.