Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am picking up my new to me, '98 GL1500 SEon Saturday. The bike has a drivers backrest, highway pegs, bike cover and battery tender. Other than these items what other five items would you recommend meadding either for functional use and/or increasing its looks?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Don't know about increasing it's looks but I'd recommend Baker Airwings, Kisan headlight modulator and a brakelight modulator and air horns. The airwings are ugy but really pay off in cold or hot weather, the modulators are a great safey enhancement because they make your bike standout so folks are less likely to turn in front of you or ram you at stop lights and the air horns sure as heck get folks attention better than the OEM meep-meep horn.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

CHROME, ok, modulators are a great asset, wind deflectors, and did I say CHROME:action:

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

All of the items exavid recommended are very wise choices. I don't have the modulaters for lights, but I do have the airwings and I can vouch the fact that they really do work well. I Just got the ones that attach to the mirrors (hand wings) and they do a great job as well.

You may want te headsets too. J&M's from Chromeworld.com have them at a good price. And they work well for me.

A trunk lid "Handle" if it does not already have one. Not having one tends to cause you to let the lid drop and cracking can result. having the handle to hold while letting it downcaneliminate that.

One more very important item,,,,,,,,,,,,, A school kid looking for summer work,,,,,,,,be sure to hire him/her,,,,,,,,,because it's the only way the lawn gets mowed.

:cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
9,409 Posts
imported post

Chrome
Half cover (well worth it)
Chrome
Wind/mirror wings
Chrome
Passenger
Chrome

Oh and did I mention

CHROME:D

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Mick-O-Pegs! Made the 1500 an absolute luxury chair for me!

Being a Puritan at heart, I soon got tired of being so comfortable!

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
63,079 Posts
imported post

Gas and a map to Mt Hamilton...

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
imported post

Hyway Boards and an aftermarket seat.The SE should have everything else you need.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
imported post

Install the deer alerts if it makes you feel better. I hit a deer in both my cages last year and both had deer alerts.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Foodman wrote:
I live on the road that goes to Mt. Hamilton, Mines Rd.:action:

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

Lots of miles on the odometer. never fails to impress the "others".

john

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

tomusa wrote:
Install the deer alerts if it makes you feel better. I hit a deer in both my cages last year and both had deer alerts.
You sure you didn't have them on backwards?:?If you have suicidal deer in your area those things will cause an accident too.

·
Premium Member
63,079 Posts
imported post

bar20 wrote:
Foodman wrote:
I live on the road that goes to Mt. Hamilton, Mines Rd.:action:
Maybe we can meet at the Junction for a Hot Dog and some BS.........

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
imported post

A flag...every goldwing needs a flag.
Armrests if you have a passenger...the wife loves them.
Modulating headlight and tailight...best to be seen.
A voltmeter...just in case.

I said a cover and realized you already had one.

How 'bout chrome...lots of chrome!

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

A shop manual, and can of contact cleaner!! Enjoy your new wing! jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
imported post

well I agree with some of the stuff, but really you need to ride it for a while and see if you need anything. the modulators are ok if on the east coast where traffic is nuts, maybe in calif, but some places they dont seem to work all that well. The baker airwings are ok but the big ones from show chrome I think are better. MARRIED GOT A CORIDER? you could need an aftrmarket windshield, some armrests for her. There is just so much that you could want and not really need. It will just boil down to what ya want. Kuyakin chrome pieces for the trim pieces, only if you like all that.

As was mentioned a good set of horns, either air or the ones from FIAMM at harbor freight. I think the fiams are louder and have more resonance, the air horns are really kinda tinny and no one really listens to them. The fiamms are kinda like the ones on a bmw, they have good horns.

Brake modulators do seem to assist in being seen from the rear but like the headlight ones only if the other driver is looking.

So look at what has been said go for a ride and make up your mind for what you want. Ride with some who have all the little toys and see what works. The wind wings will be a must in most cases, just have to figure out what you like best.

Hank

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
imported post

oh forgot to add dont get hiway boards until you have riden a bike with them. Tried them and thought I was gonna kill myself. I personally just dont find them comfortable, had a friend with them and he took em off and about threw them away. They are like a lot of things a taste to be aquired, I guess like some folks like scotch, or martinis (yeech), I would rather have a good glass of Ice tea but its an aquired taste I guess. Try em before you buy em.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.