Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just bought an 88 1500, low miles and got it for a steal. I'm currently going through the bike getting it up to date and ready for this spring for some long rides.
The bike has the factory paint on it and its not faded, however it has visible lines in the paint, thousands of them, you can't see them if you look straight at the paint, but if you look at an angle there they are. It kind of looks like the bike was washed with an SOS pad. I'm thinking that the expansion and contraction of the plastic over the years has caused this.
Has anyone in here had or seen this on your GW? Is there anything that can be done or do I have to repaint?

Ralph

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Wet sand high grit /buffing a small area see if it goes away or rubbing compound..if not then maybe buffing and clear coat..or just don't look at it straight on..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will try that, so I'm assuming this is a two stage paint?

Any recommendation on the compound?

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
repainting and/or buffing

any good auto parts store that sells paint and supplies should be able to help you

but most likely the only cure would be repainting but by then your "steal"
of a mc will be gone after the painters get done with you

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
My 88 looks like that. It looks like it is all the way through the paint and just like you said maybe from expansion and contraction. I don't think it had it 7yrs ago when i bought it. It has nice pinstriping and i don't want to lose that.
Mine is what i call beige but is called Champagne or something.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine is the same color, I don't think a cut and buff will fix it. Looks like I'm going to have to paint it.
But I will try before I paint, that's a lot of plastic!!!

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Other than a lot of time and the cost of paint and clearcoat, is there some other expense I am missing? A lot of people talk about how expensive it would be to paint a GW.

·
Busdriver
1,037 Posts
Labor is the killer. For a proper job (best results) you need to do a lot of prep work then multiple coats of primer, paint and clear, with sanding in between each coat. And in some cases filler to repair deep scratches etc.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
Labor is the killer. For a proper job (best results) you need to do a lot of prep work then multiple coats of primer, paint and clear, with sanding in between each coat. And in some cases filler to repair deep scratches etc.
+1 ...The large number of panels and complex curves move most all of the work to fully manual operations (hand sanding) with the additional factor that imperfections are more noticeable on a bike. Issues that could be "covered-up" on a car paint job by adding additional paint thickness really need to be addressed correctly on the GL's flexible and close fitting ABS panels (thick paint can crack or lift when flexed/vibrated/temperature-cycled). For me, it all comes down to having to do a better than average job with hand-tools (sometimes that's the best way anyway) on a material that is less forgiving than steel.

FWIW, I see a lot of that tiger-striping in the Martini Beige Metallic (YR149M) and even occaisionally the Phantom Gray Metallic (NH215B). From what I've seen, it's into the flake - so the color coat is compromised and would have to come off to assure that your new pant had a fighting chance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.