Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hi Guys,

My bike was serviced 2 weeks ago, and I have noticed that the petrol consumption is

more than before it was serviced.

First what is the distance I am supposed to get say on a long run, cruising at 70mph.

I travelled 65 miles today at good speeds of between 70-80 mph, I filled up to full at the start of the ride, and at the end the guage was showing just under half a tank.

I am sure that I was getting better miles per gallon before.

The mechanic says that he only changed plugs, oil etc.

There are no signs of a leak.

Any suggestions, apart from travelling slower.

Thanks

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

Dave, You need to do a proper check. Fill up again anddo whatever trips you have to do. Then fill up again and note the exact amount of fuel it took in litres. Divide the amount by 4.54 to get the gallons used and then divide that into the miles. This will give you an accurate mpg figure.
My past gl1500 experience is that highway riding will give between 45 and 48mpg. City riding will cut this to low 30s.

G

·
imported post

And after you do all that GWEddie has told you, :clapper: then Slow Down. :whip:

:coollep: :18red: :coollep:

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
imported post

I have a 1988 GL1500 and seem to be getting much lower gas milage. I have 95K miles and am lucky to be getting 30 miles (highway). Since I have only had the bike a couple of months and don't know what previous maintenance was done, a tune up is probably in order. I also find that when I pull the bike in after a ride the smell of gas hangs around for a while, so it is running lean for sure. Any thoughts out there?:?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving:My 93 is running 40-43mpg (US gallons). I tend toward 40 around town and to a little better on a longer run. Running at a 70-75mph on the freeway it's more like 39-40mpg.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Once you go over 60 mph ,,the 1500 will be heavy on petrol ,,,also dont forget the figures of miles per gallon that you get from the wingers in the USA will be different to us in Europe ,,as they have a different gallon measure to us ,,

My old 1500 which I drove very hard also gave me around the same mileage as yours ,,mine was a 1999 ,,I believe the later 1500s were heavier on petrol than the 1988 to 1993 wings ...like REDWING says(and I hate having to admit he is right :))slow down and you will find a huge difference ,,,cheers Ciaran

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

If all the technician did was change the plugs and oil, etc., may I suggest you pull the plugs and inspect for the correct type and gap. In addition, inspect that the air filter was replaced and seated properly in the housing. Other than those quickie inspections, the bike may require a carburetor balance. If it was time for service, it's probably time for a carb balance.. Proper tire inflation is a factor in gas mileage too.. Check for proper inflation psi. Good luck and keep us informed on what you find..

G

·
imported post

wexman wrote:
Once you go over 60 mph ,,the 1500 will be heavy on petrol, like REDWING says(and I hate having to admit he is right :))slow down.
Hey wexman :jumper::grinner::crying::whip::crying::grinner::crying: :whip:

:coollep: :18red: :coollep:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

60mph is a comfortable speed on my bike, but on a lot of Interstates you'll get run down if you're travelling less than 70mph. One thing I don't like is being passed by semis, it takes a long time for them to clear you, they throw dirt, especially log and chip trucks, and I'm never sure they remember where I am by the time they pull back into their lane. I really hate being close to big rigs, I got hit by a rubber alligator once driving a car. It really wasn't a big one, about two feet long. Judging by the dent in the hood, it would have taken someone right off their bike.

For the most part I run at traffic speeds, often 70-75mph, slower when I don't have a bunch of people trying to push me. It sometimes gets downright invigorating driving in heavy traffic around here, lots of time it's slow, but often it's darn near bumper to bumper at 65-70mph. I really appreciate the HOV lane in those conditions.

:crying::15red::waving:

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
imported post

A smell of petrol from a 1500 just isn't right. Perhaps a slight flooding problem? That would also explain the higher fuel consumption.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

I suspect a leaky carb. Float sticking slightly would see the petrol consumption climb.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.