Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I changed the bearings out in the rear wheel and while I was at it pulled the differential and the u-joint to check it and lube the splines.

Now when I put the drivshaft back into the pinion splines I didn't lube them with molly. I missed that in the manual the first reading......

Do I need to go back and do this as there is gear oil in the spline area?

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

93Wing wrote:
I changed the bearings out in the rear wheel and while I was at it pulled the differential and the u-joint to check it and lube the splines.

Now when I put the drivshaft back into the pinion splines I didn't lube them with molly. I missed that in the manual the first reading......

> You have to go back and apply Moly-D Grease to all the splines.

There sometimes is a minor amount of gear oil in the rear spline area, however it is worthless.

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

Kinda figured that I need to tear it back down but I was hoping......

The more I think about it I need to get back at it and do it. I will start the teardown tomorrow. I just can't believe I missed that in the manual........ That's what I get for making assumptions..........

At least I haven't ridden it yet so there will be no unnecessary wear.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Don't tell me this - I have posted pictures - time and time over of my mistake hoping to keep others from having it.

I figured people were tired of seeing the photos.

Yes - go back and re-do it - else it's gonna really hit you in the wallet.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

For those that have not seen:

GOOD SPLINE - Coated with MOLY 60 from HONDA

BAD SPLINE - from using wrong grease for 10,000 miles

GOOD FINAL DRIVE - not one eaten with bad spline:

BAD FINAL DRIVE - was made bad with bad spline.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
imported post

93Wing wrote:

There is 2 holes for final drive oil and a seal on 1200 . I think a1500 is made the same way, a 1200 driveshalf will fit a 1500 pinion spline .

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
imported post

By all means go back and grease the splines... I helped a buddy with his splines where the previous owner neglected to grease them... We ended up beating the two units apart as they were pretty much fused together... My buddy ended up buying a used final drive and drive-shaft...

Go back and grease them - you'll be glad you did :applause:

Les

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

rgbeard wrote:
For those that have not seen:

GOOD SPLINE - Coated with MOLY 60 from HONDA

BAD SPLINE - from using wrong grease for 10,000 miles

GOOD FINAL DRIVE - not one eaten with bad spline:

BAD FINAL DRIVE - was made bad with bad spline.

Rg, that area is a given, but not the place I am talking about. The one I am talking about is on the drivshaft where it inserts into the pinion coupling.

But this is an excellent reminder of what can happen if you DO NOT use the correct lubricant.

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

And yes I took it apart last night, (I just could not wait) and lubed up the splines on the driveshaft pinion coupler.

I am getting good at this, it only took me 2 hr 45 min from start to finish to tear it apart and put it back together.

As my brother chided me, practice makes perfect.......:ROFL:

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
imported post

93Wing wrote:
And yes I took it apart last night, (I just could not wait) and lubed up the splines on the driveshaft pinion coupler.

I am getting good at this, it only took me 2 hr 45 min from start to finish to tear it apart and put it back together.

Maybe some more practice needed?

Did you pull the driveshaft out and lube the front end splines and pull the u-joint from the rear of the motor and lube the splines there????:readit:
This has been discussed many times in many posts.

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

newday777 wrote:
93Wing wrote:

Maybe some more practice needed?

Did you pull the driveshaft out and lube the front end splines and pull the u-joint from the rear of the motor and lube the splines there????:readit:
This has been discussed many times in many posts.
See the first post.

Yes I did that but for some crazy reason I just missed the part about the pinion splines.......:?

I now own a 17mm GIGANTIC hex head socket and allen wrench.........

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,286 Posts
imported post

Any excuse for new tools...

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
imported post

One can NEVER have too many tools :cheesygrin:

Les

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
imported post

dadztoy wrote:
One can NEVER have too many tools :cheesygrin:

Les
Even my wife is starting to understand that and doesn't squawk when I tell her I need a new tool......:applause:

·
Not Quite Right
2,525 Posts
imported post

Yep. Needs to be done. The rear splines are under an enormous amount of strain (torque multiplication, on/off throttle, intense heat), and an normal oil that is back there literally cannot function in that environment.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.