Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1997 GL1500 FrankenWing,1994 GL1500 Aspencade,1999 Ultraclassic,1998 Softtail Special
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went out to the garage the other day to see the 'girls' and my 97 GL1500 has what appears to be a puddle of oil AND antifreeze on the floor between the front tire and the engine..... have not yet taken off the plastic to see what's what.... but would welcome any insights on what/where/why/how she would just start-a-leakin like that..... Still winter up here, but the warm winds are blowing .... Will post a couple of pics when I get them. Thanks all!!

PS: She was stored in an unheated garage this winter and the temps DID get down to minus 15-20 a couple of times for a few days.

·
Registered
371 Posts
You will get some leakage of antifreze, and maybe some oil out of the weep hole on water pump. I would just wipe it up, and keep a eye on future drips. I`m thinking as soon as things warm up there, no more leaks. If leaks continue into warmer months might be time for new water pump. (Hope you have strong, and fresh anti freeze there. 20 below with weak anti freeze could be a whole new set of problems. )
gumbyredd

·
Premium Member
2012 GL1800
930 Posts
My 1985 would have a slight drip from the water pump after being stored during the winter. It stopped after it warmed up and rode for a while. Could be leaking at one of the hose clamps. Things shrink during cold weather.
As Gummybredd said, hopefully the coolant was adequate.

·
Just one of the guys
4,860 Posts
My ’94 would have a puddle of anti freeze on the floor almost every spring when stored in an unheated place. It never leaked other than that. I am pretty sure it come out of the overflow.

Reactions: limpy45

·
Registered
1997 GL1500 FrankenWing,1994 GL1500 Aspencade,1999 Ultraclassic,1998 Softtail Special
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You will get some leakage of antifreze, and maybe some oil out of the weep hole on water pump. I would just wipe it up, and keep a eye on future drips. I`m thinking as soon as things warm up there, no more leaks. If leaks continue into warmer months might be time for new water pump. (Hope you have strong, and fresh anti freeze there. 20 below with weak anti freeze could be a whole new set of problems. )
gumbyredd
Thanks, hopefully that is all it is. This will be my second year with a wing and the first one was a BLAST! My ultraclassic did not get much riding last year...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I went out to the garage the other day to see the 'girls' and my 97 GL1500 has what appears to be a puddle of oil AND antifreeze on the floor between the front tire and the engine..... have not yet taken off the plastic to see what's what.... but would welcome any insights on what/where/why/how she would just start-a-leakin like that..... Still winter up here, but the warm winds are blowing .... Will post a couple of pics when I get them. Thanks all!!

PS: She was stored in an unheated garage this winter and the temps DID get down to minus 15-20 a couple of times for a few days.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My ’94 would have a puddle of anti freeze on the floor almost every spring when stored in an unheated place. It never leaked other than that. I am pretty sure it come out of the overflow.
Thanks, hopefully that is all it is. This will be my second year with a wing and the first one was a BLAST! My ultraclassic did not get much riding last year...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My 1985 would have a slight drip from the water pump after being stored during the winter. It stopped after it warmed up and rode for a while. Could be leaking at one of the hose clamps. Things shrink during cold weather.
As Gummybredd said, hopefully the coolant was adequate.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My riding buddy has an Ultraclassic, but is very jealous of my 1999 Aspencade. I change coolant and oil each year in preparation for winterization, not just for freeze protection but corrosion. Aluminum is very sensitive to water corrosion. Still, you may find the additives in fresh coolant also soften your water pump seal and hose connection enough to stop any seepage. My garage is insulated so it never gets below freezing. I hope you didn't crack anything, but if so water pumps and radiators are the easiest and cheapest to replace. Cracked engine blocks on these old bikes are usually the end of the bike. Used replacement engines typically cost more than the entire bike! Hopefully, you got lucky and it is just cold metal shrinking enough to allow some seepage around some seals. Also, the oil filter can leak if it is not at least hand tight, but never use a wrench to tighten it... only to remove it.

Reactions: limpy45

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Looks so far to be Fork oil that is the 'oily' stuff leaking onto the floor..... I have NEVER owned a bike that had good fork seals..... just keeping up traditions I guess.... I cleaned up the mess and moved her back a few feet... Been warming up a bit into the 30-40's over the past weeks and so far only reddish fork oil on the floor, albeit a few drip so far after a few days. This is my first wing so I guess I need to re-figure my pre-winter / post winter maintenance for this girl... in the old days, I would just fire up the harleys outside on top of a shallow drain pan to catch the oil out of the breather tube that would accumulate in the case past the oil pump check valve which is typical... after a few minutes if warming up.... all would be good for the rest of the season.... Thanks for the support all... If anything changes I will post back

·
Registered
Several
1,435 Posts
Smack it on the nose of the fairing with a rolled up newspaper and say, Bad Goldwing!! :cool:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Rayjoe

Reactions: RambozoClown

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Smack it on the nose of the fairing with a rolled up newspaper and say, Bad Goldwing!! :cool:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Rayjoe
I thought about spanking here with a doggy leash.... she likes that kind of thing... anti-freeze leak seems to have stopped. Fork oil continues to drip drip drip...

·
Registered
Several
1,435 Posts
Sounds like you need new fork seals.

I'm guessing the antifreeze is a loose hose clamp. The hose may have shrunk slightly due to the cold. Now that temps are warmer it has returned to normal. Still a 1/2 turn on the clamp may be all that's needed.

Rayjoe

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sounds like you need new fork seals.

I'm guessing the antifreeze is a loose hose clamp. The hose may have shrunk slightly due to the cold. Now that temps are warmer it has returned to normal. Still a 1/2 turn on the clamp may be all that's needed.

Rayjoe
Are there any videos or how to's on replacing the fork seals? I found one on utube but the forke were completely off the bike.... really want to do a "quick" replacement if I can.

·
Registered
Several
1,435 Posts
There really is no such thing as a "quick" replacement for fork seals. Even if you left the tubes in the triple trees you still have to remove the wheel, calipers, fender, and sliders. I guess you could do it that way, but I wouldn't. Once you get all that stuff out of the way it's only a few more bolts to loosen to slide the tubes out. Besides, you can't really check the tubes for straightness while they are in the triple trees.

Let us know what you decide.

Rayjoe

1 - 16 of 16 Posts