Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

OH NO! We were camping over the weekend and I used a 2 gallon gas can to gas up my 96 and the darn plastic tube on the can fell off into the gas tank ! It's one of those "acordian" looking things about 8 inches long. I tried to fish it out with a piece of wire but couldn't reach it and then I couldn't even see it. Any way, I got home with it in there just fine and will contiue to try to get it out, but in the mean time will this hurt anything if I keep riding the bike? Has this ever happened to anyone else or am I the stupidest person in town?

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
imported post

It should not hurt anything.

You may have to pull out the fuel pump to be able to fish it out.

If you do pull out the fuel pump be sure you have only a half tank of gas or less or you will get gas everywhere.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

It won't hurt anything, as long as it doesn't interfere with the fuel gauge sending unit. I did pretty much the same thing years ago when I dropped one of those into car tank. It stuck in the pipe down just before it went into the tank, and my trying to fish it out pushed it into the tank (this was a '61 Plymouth Valiant, it didn't have the restrictors in the filler like newer cars do). The only way to get it out was to remove the tank and the sending unit. I figured it was gas proof, so it shouldn't hurt anything. I sold that car several years ago, and if it is still running, that tube is probably still in there.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
imported post

I don't know if the 1500's are like my 1000 or 1100 but the fuel gauge sending unit comes out easily after removing the seat. If so, should be no problem fecthing it out

Don

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

You will only have to remove the Fuel Pump Assembly, in order to fully access the inside of the tank.

Steps:
1) Start with gas tank 1/2 full, or less.
2) Remove seat.
3) Remove inlet hose (Item #14)
4) Remove cover to fuel pump assembly (Item#1)
5) Lift pump assembly up about 2", then reach in and disconnect the rubber hose (There is no clamp on it)
6) Completely remove the fuel pump assembly.
7) Remove the hose you dropped in (Can stick your entire hand into the tank at this point).
8) Re-assemble by reversing these steps.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
imported post

Please ensure that the tank is deained low before removing the pump and sender as the fuel height when full is above the opening and will flow out, as i found out! Regards Derek

·
Life Time Premium Member
3,918 Posts
imported post

I have had something like that happen to me TWICE. I used one of those 3 claw pickup thingees for picking up parts that you drop while working on a car. It took a while but I did get it both times!

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

Ditto D-Rod , go to any auto parts store and get a grabber, they are like $8.00 and very handy to have .
Just describe to the clerk what you are trying to do and he will find it for you. When you see it you will know what to do with it to pick out that offending nozzel.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
imported post

machinehead wrote:
Ditto D-Rod , go to any auto parts store and get a grabber, they are like $8.00 and very handy to have .
Just describe to the clerk what you are trying to do and he will find it for you. When you see it you will know what to do with it to pick out that offending nozzel.
Harbor freight has them for $3.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=grabber

I got a set with that one and a magnet style on sale at HF for $3.

·
Premium Member
2,925 Posts
imported post

I lost a
fitting of my air hose in mine back about 7 years ago ,it was brass,its been there ever sine and never had any trouble with it

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Best not to poke around in there through the fuel filler opening, you can damage the fragile fuel gauge sending unit.

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
imported post

Use a match to see in the tank and fish it out with some long pliers.:shock::cheesygrin:

·
Premium Member
3,702 Posts
imported post

I'ld wait to go through fuel pump / sending unit access under seat if it were me .... or leave it alone.

JerryH wrote:
Best not to poke around in there through the fuel filler opening, you can damage the fragile fuel gauge sending unit.
X2!

:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
imported post

Ya know---there are folks, who maybe do not know better, who read these posts who believe what they read and will try the lighted match to see.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.