Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Good Morning Everybody

I was reading some of the posts this morning and saw where many of you with GL1500's are getting around 40 miles to the gallon.

I have a 1998 GL1500SE with a little under 19,000 miles. It was just triked out at 18,240 miles. I've checked the mileage 3 times and so far it's around 28 miles per gallon. Needless to say I'm a bit disappointed in the mileage. I know it being a trike will bring the mileage down a bit but not that much.

I DO think it's running rich. I can smell gas when it's just sitting idling once it's warmed up. It idles at 800 RPMs with no hesitation or surge. It does not miss....it cranks right up....I was riding with just me and no load....speed between 70 - 75 on freeway and mostly with cruise set...no cutting out at speeds and has plenty of power with no hesitation.

Any suggestions what to look for or should I just get used to the poor mileage..the gas smell does worry me a bit.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

David

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi david and welcome to the forum if the bike is running rich you will have to remove the carbs to fix this as the float hight sets the mixture but first sync the carbs they may be off a little open the fuel door and have a sniff for a gas leak the pet **** has ben knowen to leak, make sure none of the brakes are draging, and cheque the plugs to see what condation they are in, has the air filter been changed if not this will upset the mixture also

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
imported post

David you will be using more gas having a trike conversion. By checking your filters and keeping you tires and plugs good you should get into the 30s per gallon. :waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

is there no one local with a wing, the pair of you could run at a steady speed together and compare the rpm's, i'm thinking off gear ratio's at the diff and what wheel/tyre size you have, or brakes dragging slightly

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

probably asking the trike shop if the mpg drop is normal or out of the range expected, after installing many trikes they should have the experience to tell you

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
imported post

If you are running between 70 and 75 then that is a big part of it. Anything over 3000 RPM and the 1500 start sucking it down and I imagine it is even worse with a trike.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks for your response. It's hard to keep your speed under 70 around the Houston area...they WILL run over you.

I'll try next weekend keeping it under 70 and see if that helps. I need to check the plugs and see if it really is running rich. Since I just bought the trike about 2 months ago I'm not sure if they ever changed the air filter or not. I know I changed the oil and filter 2 weeks ago and it was dirty.

I may just have a mechanic check it out and see if he can check the carbs out if I can't figure anything else out.

Thanks again for your help.

David

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
imported post

agnogel wrote:
hi david and welcome to the forum if the bike is running rich you will have to remove the carbs to fix this as the float hight sets the mixture but first sync the carbs they may be off a little open the fuel door and have a sniff for a gas leak the pet **** has ben knowen to leak, make sure none of the brakes are draging, and cheque the plugs to see what condation they are in, has the air filter been changed if not this will upset the mixture also
David,

The above is all solid stuff; those plugs should tell you alot. I've just seen an article in the "Tech Q & A" of RIDER magazine March'09 issue titled Guzzling Valkyrie; same engine right? The jest of the response was directed toplug appearance, weak spark and possible ECM/spark advance issues.

BUT you shouldeliminate the possibility of fuel loss from petcock and tank integrity issues first.

Steve

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
imported post

Going under 70mph in Houston, Texas is asking to get run over :)

Tom

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

I will bet the air cleaner has had a mouse in there. The GL1500's are known for that. Your best bet is to replace the air cleaner.

I am a Motor Trike Dealer and most of the GL1500's Trikes get between 36 and 38 MPG. The air pressure in your back tires should be between 18 and 22 psi. Your front tire should be 39 psi.

Is the Trike pulling left or right?

Are you hearing a clicking sound when you get on the Trike?

Paul Sr.

oldschool

·
Slow Learner
1,485 Posts
imported post

I don't know what the problem is but it can't be dragging brakes. Any brake dragging enough to affect mileage would heat up dramatically. You'd smell the smoke and the brakes would fail.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
imported post

David
I've got a 98SE trike with 60,000 on it,at 70+ get 28+mpg under 70 will get 30+mpg,50 to 60 can get around 35mpg.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

muleman wrote:
David
I've got a 98SE trike with 60,000 on it,at 70+ get 28+mpg under 70 will get 30+mpg,50 to 60 can get around 35mpg.

Jerry
Hi Jerry

I've had others tell me that 28 was about all I could expect out of it running 70 but on this site I've read where others were getting in the high 30's and low 40's. I wanna be in the latter catagory. haha.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Generally, I get right around 35 mpg to a US gallon, riding fairly conservatively, doing 60mph. I have got on occasion 40/US gallon.

I have also only gotten 86 MPT(T=tankful!) burning that 85E crap and riding at highly illegal speeds, fully laden,for extended periods of time, through northern/eastern WY(>95mph+) :D

Dusty :action:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.