Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

GL1500 popping on decel and idle

5K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  DriverRider 
#1 ·
I have a '99 1500 SE that was in need of a carb rebuild. I removed, cleaned and rebuilt the carbs and reinstalled. After startup, there is a "popping" that sounds like its coming from the collector chamber. The engine runs fine, smooth with no hiccup when the pop happens. Tach doesn't flicker at the pop either. This seemed to have appeared after I installed the rebuilt carbs, as it wasn't noticed before. I've had a few wings, but this is a first for me. Any input is appreciated.

#2 ·
I understand there's a hose that's really difficult to reconnect to the airbox which if left disconnected can make sounds like that. It would be a fairly simple fix if that's what it is.
I've never had my airbox off so unsure exactly where it is. Maybe someone will chime in with more detail

Reactions: redwing52
#3 ·
The hose that Denver is talking about is located in the right front corner of the air box. If you connected it you wpold remember. It is a pain in the a$$ to connect. The hose ends under the air box and in a tight space. A super long needle nose pliers works best. And some wrestling. :)

#5 ·
Yes Dave those work good and harbor freight has some long pliers similar a lot less than anyone else,the curved pointed one works good too.

Reactions: redwing52
#9 ·
Another way that is not as easy as the long pliers is to disconnect the other end of the hose. Hook up the difficult end then the other end. Still a pain but less painful. Works if you have no pliers that do the job.

#6 ·
That hose came loose after I rebuilt my carbs last year. There was no popping. There was a noise associated with it however. Sounded just like the choke (enrichener) when it is left on. Kind of an air sucking noise.??

#8 ·
If the idle mixture is too rich you will get a slight popping noise in the exhaust while idling, I hear it more in the area of the headers. Now the popping on decel could be a fault in the A.I.R. injection system. With air cleaner cover removed and with engine idling you will hear a gurgling sound which is the air being drawn into that system from the hose underneath box at right front. Rev the engine a little bit and when throttle is released there should be a very slight cessation of that gurgle sound as the RPM drops and is normal operation. If the gurgle does not pause during that test it will cause the popping on decel.

#10 ·
Thx for the replies. The bike had set up a while before I got it. One of the 1st things I did was remove the carbs, cleaned them, reset the floats and reinstalled. I did not reinstall the airbox, so the hoses were not connected. Started it, seemed to run fine. Put everything back together and synced the carbs. Did a short lunch run, about 150 miles total, and bike purred like a new one. After about a month of sitting, started it for a ride and it had a stutter, loss of power, on acceleration, both under a load or in neutral. Sounded sim to a slide sticking. Never heard the pop. Figured carbs need a complete rebuild. Immediately after startup is when it started with the popping. Motor idles and runs smooth, no glitch or hiccup when popping. I'm wondering if the collector box, and/or the mufflers are rusted out would cause the pop.

#15 ·
That is the way I did it also when I had my carbs out. I was having a heck of a time getting it connected with those long pliers. Then decided to remove the right fan and could just put it back with my hand. However, getting that fan back in there through all those wires, hoses, etc is not too easy either.

Reactions: DriverRider
#18 ·
I would start over from scratch diagnosing whether rich or lean, doing a power balance test, plug condition, compression test.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.