Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey gang , what bulbs have been used to replace the positioning lights next to the headlights ???.....mainly LEDS.. AMBER color

something brighterthe 5 led bulbs from superbright LEDS.

I've been checking the brightness of alot of them .:?

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

I was thinking along the lines of HID projector bulbs

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

I put those in my 99 SE, and they are alot brighter. I do have a warning,though. Mine, after careful installation, were just about touching the little chrome plated hexagon thingy that shields the tip of the bulb. IT MELTED!!!! The led got hot enough to melt the plastic! I removed the leds, and made a spacer to set the led back a few centimeters, and re-assembled. You can see, when the trike is on, cracks in that little defractor. Just turn one on, and try to touch it!!! jimsjinx

·
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks Hodgy , they are bright,but I would prefer AMBER !!!!!

looking around Superbright LEDS I did notice in the specs that most are the same as far as lumins ( brightness ) another option is mod the hole and put in a bigger socket for a bigger bulb. wonder if anyone has done this...I'll keep looking.:cool:

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
imported post

thanks all for the info. as usual everyone comes thru with lots of welcomed amswers to my many questions

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
imported post

thanks all for the info. as usual everyone comes thru with lots of welcomed amswers to my many questions

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
imported post

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

ONE CLICKY and Wait

·
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Attachments

·
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

and again...

pictures do not do these lights justice..can't wait to put them back in the bike.

I will take a pic of stock on one side and the new mod on the other for comparison when I get it back in the wing.....DOC

Attachments

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

How hard was it to get the faces off the front lights?

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Looks good. I'm anxious to see them after they are back in the bike.

·
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

newday777 wrote:
How hard was it to get the faces off the front lights?
not bad at all, just a little patience at first. using a heat gun, slowly warm up all around the lens to soften the glue caulk .when the plasticis a little soft lift up the tabs and pry apart with a small screw driver. you will know when its ready to come apart.

I cut a piece of plastic from vinyl siding ,traced the inside edgeof lens and cutit little smaller, butjusta little bigger than theface of the housing but small enough that the lens fits back on. DO NOT GLUE THIS PLASTIC PIECE ON THE HOUSING until the ribbon strips are mounted to it. now solder Pos and Neg wires to each of the strips (on the bottom side of the strips. try to solder the wires at a 90 degree to the strip because you will cut a small hole so the wires go through the plastic and you won't see them looking through the lens from the outside. NOW you can glue the plastic plate to the housing , stick the wires through the bulb hole and seal up the hole as you wish...

I connected the middle ribbon strip for the parking light and the two outside strips for turn signal......I hope this all makes sense...if you need help just ask....I'm taking pics of more of the wiring and all that ...will post pics when I get them....GOOD LUCK... DOC

·
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Rudy wrote:
Looks good. I'm anxious to see them after they are back in the bike.
Ya me too , but it's 20 degrees:shock: out in my garage and I ain't going out there ....BRRRRRRR

·
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

WELL , :X:whip::lash::yelling::yelling:....Inearlyfinished the second

turn signal lens mod, when at the point I was at I thought I'd

check and see what it looked like and found that the other LED Ribbon strip that superbright leds sent me is ULTRAVIOLET, NOT AMBER LIKE IT SHOULD BE :yelling::yelling: GUESSI SHOULD HAVE HOOKED IT UP BEFORE STARTING :headbanger::gunhead:sh-t...I hope they will make good with the wrong shipment and send another free of charge..:praying:

One good thing is I took alot of pics of the process and will post all of it when I get the correct amber strips and finish the job..... DOC

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

I wonder if you could use the dual level adapters on the front lights so all the strips were on all the time and at 1/2 brightness on running and full on for turn signals.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.